First Remington- 572 Fieldmaster

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Donoman

First Remington- 572 Fieldmaster

Post by Donoman »

I've been wanting a 22 pump for some time. Just was a little hesitant on making the purchase. This Fieldmaster has been sitting in a local pawn shop for several months and I've been hoping it would come down a bit but alas it didn't. It is in pretty good shape from what I know. The date code is OGY which I believe is July of either 1960 or 1986. My guess is 86 but how can I be sure? I can't wait to take it out and run some rounds through it.
One other thing, the front bead sight appears to be slightly bent, just a hair. Just enough to bother me now. What is the best solution for that? Is it an easy fix? There also appears to be a crack on the stock that has started. I'm not that concerned about the stock at this point.
Thanks for any input on the date and the sight.
Donoman

Re: First Remington- 572 Fieldmaster

Post by Donoman »

Here are a few pictures of the areas that I mentioned in the post
Attachments
Field master sight.jpg
Field master sight.jpg (139.73 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Field master serial.jpg
Field master serial.jpg (183.72 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Field master.jpg
Field master.jpg (197.42 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

An '86 built rifle would have a serial number. Looks to be a '60. Carefully tap the front site with a brass hammer. The stock is likely drying out somewhat and stress cracking. Not a big deal as long as it doesn't get worse. A 'smith could thwart that for you.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Donoman wrote:I've been wanting a 22 pump for some time. Just was a little hesitant on making the purchase. This Fieldmaster has been sitting in a local pawn shop for several months and I've been hoping it would come down a bit but alas it didn't. It is in pretty good shape from what I know. The date code is OGY which I believe is July of either 1960 or 1986. My guess is 86 but how can I be sure? I can't wait to take it out and run some rounds through it.
One other thing, the front bead sight appears to be slightly bent, just a hair. Just enough to bother me now. What is the best solution for that? Is it an easy fix? There also appears to be a crack on the stock that has started. I'm not that concerned about the stock at this point.
Thanks for any input on the date and the sight.
If there was a "distance" photo of the rifle we could tell. One of the differences between those dates would be the barrel length......around 1980, they started shortening the barrels to around 20", whereas the ones before that were mostly about 24"

Den

Donoman

Post by Donoman »

The barrel is 24 inches. I guess 1960 is the date. It would only let me post 3 images at first. I'll try to get another one up. Thanks again!