gamemaster 141

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
sku078

gamemaster 141

Post by sku078 »

Hellow all. Today I was going to field strip my uncles 141. I went to push the unlock plunger on the breech block to cycle the action and the plunger is just floating in the b block , no tension on it at all and the rifle is locked up. After looking it over I notice the screw that holds the action bar cover inplace is missing. My hope is that I can get the trigger group out and maybe that screw is in the reciever binding it up? My question is, can you take the trigger group out with out cocking the striker. What might be the problem with the unlock plunger? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Sku
nambujim

Re: gamemaster 141

Post by nambujim »

If the bolt is in fully forward the upper/lower (trigger group) should readily separate. If the screw holding the action bar cover in place is missing, the first thing I would do is to check and make sure the cartridge stop is in place behind the action bar cover.

If the unlocking plunger is floating it could be a whole lot of things "in the bolt itself" like the ejector rod being missing, broken action bar lock, or even the action bar spring/plunger being missing although the latter is unlikely.

This doesn't sound like an awful fix but what concerns me is that you really have two problems and if the stop is missing you have three. I'm afraid your uncle messed with the rifle some time back and didn't quite get it back together correctly. It is exceptionally hard to diagnose this type of thing via the forum but usually an easy fix if its on my bench..........but you knew that.

Good luck!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
sku078

Post by sku078 »

Jim, thank you for the imformation. Yes the cartride stop is there. My Uncle used the rifle this past Nov. for deer season and all was good. I think the screw for the action bar cover went missing after I took possession. When I got the gun home I checked the chamber again before I put the rifle in the safe. All was well, unlocking plunger and the action was fine. I've looked between point a and b between the safe and my bench and haven't found the action bar cover screw. Later tommorrow I will seperate the trigger group from the reciever and go from their. I will update with my findings.
Thank you again.
Sku
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Hey, that's good news about the stop but realistically your problem is bolt related. They started hardening the "action bar lock" and I've had 3-4 rifles where they just broke, probably because the metal was too hard/brittle. The part that breaks off is the extension that runs up into the area activated by the ejector/ejector rod which could explain the release button seemingly floating around. You will know more when you get the bolt out.

I have action bar cover screws for $5 plus postage, they have a special size thread, and therefore substitutes are hard to find as are the covers themselves.

Good luck!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
sku078

Re: gamemaster 141 update

Post by sku078 »

Well I got the breech block out of the reciever today. Jim there's nothing wrong with the action bar lock and the ejector rod is fine. As I pulled the breech out the ejector plate just fell out? The nub on the top wasn't seated in that little channel it rides in. Therefore the unlocking plungger didn't have any tension on it. putting the bolt back together on the bench everything looks good. I have a lot of cleaning to do on this rifle. I think it has the original cosmoline still in it. Thanks for the help Jim and to the administrator that posted the disassembly instructions for the model 14. Jim how do I go about getting on of those screws? I still haven't found it.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Roger that, like I said initially ........ the ejector rod might be missing but not having the ejector seated in it is pretty much the same thing or as good as missing, glad the lock wasn't broken but that can be fixed without sending me the entire rifle.

Send me a check for $11 to cover the screw and the darn postage. I ship in a small priority box to protect the screw, I've tried other means but after I lost one I figured the "box" is the way to go. If there is any other part you need I could ship with no additional postage charge. Send check to:

Jim Peterson
7420 Leharne Drive
Charlotte, NC 28270

Put a note in with the check reminding me what its for, have a lot of stuff going out of here............all Model 14 related.

Jim
Jim Peterson