760 part needed

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Oscarflytyer

760 part needed

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Just picked up a Jun 1953 manu 760 ADL - according to the things I am seeing and have found.

Rifle has the rear factory sling swivel and forend sling attachment screw. But it is missing the 'donut' piece that goes around the forearm screw and has the drop down piece that the sling swivel attaches to. If anyone has this "donut" piece, or knows where I can get one, I would appreciate it. Thanx
600RemGuy

Re: 760 part needed

Post by 600RemGuy »

I could be wrong, and frequently am, but I don't think the swivel studs are factory. More than likely they are the Uncle Mikes fitted for the rifle.

Brad
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Not sure. The newsletter I saw said the ADL had swivels. This one has what looks like a factory rear. And the front screw in the tube has extra space where the "donut" with the swivel stud would go. Just thought I would give it a try. May just get the UM set and use the part I need - if it fits the current screw.
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

OK I stand corrected (hey at least I admit it). Looked it up here-

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/M760N

All got me thinkin! I may have what you need, albeit maybe not a factory piece. If you can give me dimensions of your screw(not bolt; I looked up the difference) maybe it'll match. I have all three pieces that make up the swivel unit; 1-stud screws into the "donut", 2-the "donut"(mine is knurled , half the surface in the centre), 3-the large headed screw. Under the stud is a mangled spring that I don't think is proper OR there is a detent ball missing. Not sure of its purpose other than keeping things together when not installed. I can try and figure out the threads on my screw.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Here is what I took off the rifle... Screw length/space for the 'donut' for the swivel is .400". Diameter of the screw is .300". See screw head in the pic.

Looks like, for some reason, someone took the donut swivel holder off the rifle. No clue why, but then I can't figure out why it has the Griffin and Howe removable mount when it was factory D&T for a scope! Who knows!
Attachments
screw diameter
screw diameter
IMG_0829.JPG (105.96 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
'donut' space length
'donut' space length
IMG_0827.JPG (93.12 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
screw head
screw head
IMG_0824.JPG (92.34 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Shaft size of my screw is about .378 and the donut width is .386. My screw has a turned slot in the centre half where yours is smooth. Forgot to take it to work to check threads.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Screw threads don't/won't matter. Screw shaft is smooth - not threaded. If hole in 'donut' is at least >= .300" and thickness is <= .400" - it should work.

If you are willing to part with it, let me know and we can work something out. If it won't work for me I can always send it back to you.
The Gamemaster

Post by The Gamemaster »

Call Grice Gun Shop Clearfield PA...
They carry all those obsolete sling mounts..
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Bought a set of drill bit stop collars. Tapped it for sling stud, added a cone washer and I am set! Looks like it belongs!