Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
capt

Post by capt »

Hi Folks;
New member with a long and rich association with Remington Arms. Got my first one (514 in 1957) as a Christmas gift from my parents. Later traded for a 550-1 (1960) and on to the military service where upon the guns became someone else's property. Fast forward to last year and I acquired another 514 so as to chase some childhood memories and I am now in the hunt for more information about the gun, including the date of manufacture. The barrel has some markings that are puzzling to me, in that the Left side of the barrel is stamped with R 25
R
That's how it's stamped. If it's indeed a RR 25 stamping, wouldn't that indicate 1946 as year of manufacture? AND, if that's so, the Remington factory started making the 514 in 1948, or is my information wrong?
600RemGuy

Re: New Member

Post by 600RemGuy »

Pretty strong "R". I would say built in Nov. '68. Any double letters years I've run across were very close together.
capt

Re: New Member

Post by capt »

That's pretty much what I thought. I really like the 514; easy to use and maintain as well as a excellent shooter. Thanks for the conformational information, think I'll go shoot it some this morning.