Model 12 Jams

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
dxk6

Model 12 Jams

Post by dxk6 »

I have a 12C that I inherited that looks to be in fairly decent shape except that the action does not load and unload smoothly or reliably. It jams up....

It doesn't appear to be missing any parts and there is no rust.
When you pull the slide back, the cartridge appears, however, when you slide it forward, the front of the cartridge doesn't raise up to go in the chamber (most of the time).
The bolt, extractor, firing pin (flat style), cartridge stop, cartridge retainer spring, carrier dog, and carrier all seem to be ok....it just doesn't load the cartridge on the forward stroke.

The groove in the action bar where the retainer spring rides shows some wear but it is nowhere near as bad as the one in your video. I have tried it with different ammo (shorts, longs, LR, and various dummy rounds) and it seems to work better with shorts.
I suspect that the carrier (showed some wear) may be worn or not actuating properly. I can send photos of any items if that helps.

In summary, the front tip of the round does not raise up to align with the chamber on the forward stroke and the gun jams.

I would like to get the action of this otherwise nice rifle working reliably again and would greatly appreciate your assistance/advice and contact info for any parts suppliers that you use. I would like to replace the fitting pin spring, firing pin spring guide, firing pin retaining pins, and possibly the carrier.
nambujim

Re: Model 12 Jams

Post by nambujim »

Since no one has responded to you, I will take a shot.

I only work on Model 14 & 141's and have no desire at my age to widen my knowledge base but that being said here is an opinion. You state that the carrier is not lifting the cartridge fully up and that shorts work better both would seem logical if the carrier dog spring was weak............that's the way it works on a Model 14 but I'm not at all aware of the internal workings except they were designed by the same guy.

If the spring is weak on a M14 it won't fully lift a cartridge into place and of course you get a jam. The .22 short being about 1/2 the weight of a Long Rifle the spring would indeed lift it better/easier. Good luck on finding a carrier dog spring and/or someone that can fix it............if it has a carrier dog spring....lol. Hey thought I would take a shot.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Since I had nothing to do I checked the schematic for the Model 12 and indeed it has a carrier dog spring, Numrich has them for 2.25 and it looks nothing like the ones used on the Model 14. It is a sturdy little coil spring that looks like it would last a lifetime but its cheap and its at least a place to start working on the feed problem. If its the "dog" itself that could be a can of worms because there may be a variety of styles.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Dino55

Post by Dino55 »

I had the same problem with my 12A. After ejection of the spent casing, the new cartridge starts to come in but jambs. With my rifle, this was caused by the firing pin protruding from the bolt. When the slide is worked to the rear, the back of the bolt hits & cocks the hammer which pushes out the firing pin. In normal use when the slide is moved forward, a spring retracts the firing pin. My bolt had years of goo inside which overpowered the spring in the bolt designed to retract the pin. So with the head of the pin sticking out, the new cartridge won't rise to seat into the barrel. You could disassemble the bolt for a thorough cleaning, but I found that pressurized cleaning solvent did the trick, then use a dry lube so more gunk won't accumulate.