early 700 question ?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
frank r

early 700 question ?

Post by frank r »

I have a early 700 with the ribbon checkering pattern. 7 mag SS barrel. looks like a BDL . early BDL.
on a page in the book the history of Remington firearms. it shows that rifle as a BSL ?
I can find no history of a BSL. does anyone have the book? is it just a misprint in the book?
I do not have the book I saw it online and can not find that page again. does any one have any info
on a rem 700 BDL style stock with the ribbon checkering pattern, 7mag SS barrel? as I wonder what dates they made the SS barrels and what years they made that style stock.
600RemGuy

Re: early 700 question ?

Post by 600RemGuy »

Typo. I have the book and there a couple of glaring editorial errors in the book in general.

What is the barrel date code on your rifle? LHS just ahead of the receiver? There will be 4 characters/symbols. It's the two middle ones (letters) that we need to know. If more than 4, the 3rd and 2nd last characters (letters). Just to clarify, I count the last character as ONE symbol, even though it MAY be a 2 digit number such as 30 or 63.

If it's marked SS it is built in '63 or later.
frank r

Re: early 700 question ?

Post by frank r »

ok Thanks...I researched 700 BDL add's and found that the ribbon checkering pattern from 1969 to 1973..1968 it was still fleur de lis style and 1974 add's show straight style cut checkering. The ribbon style checkering and stock style is my favorite of all the BDL's . a friend of mine had one in a 270 win when we were kids. I always admired that rifle. But they are hard to find. well I found one in a 7mag in near mint condition,so I bought it..I will research the date code to find out the what year it was made.. it does have the stainless steel stamp on the barrel. Thanks again.