Remington 14 Help (pics)

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
oberndorf

Remington 14 Help (pics)

Post by oberndorf »

I am new user on this forum and learned a lot from the members / posts on this forum. Thanks!

I have this old Remington 14 rifle in .32 Rem and it my only slide action rifle.Don't know much about the Rem 14 other than what I learned from this forum.

Have a couple of questions...

When was this rifle made?
Is it missing a rear sight as there are cutouts in the barrel?
Why is there no serial# like Cxxxxx in front of the trigger guard?
Any other information that will help a newbie?

Thanks.
Last edited by oberndorf on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nambujim

Re: Remington 14 Help (pics)

Post by nambujim »

The number below the "C" is the serial number. If you take the gun apart you will note that the serial is also on the left side of the trigger guard. Looks to be about a 93,000 ish serial. It is missing the barrel sight which would have been a long leaf 701-1/2 (the dovetail with the notch behind it was for the earlier wheel sight but they never changed the barrel configuration because the wheel sight was always an option).

If that rifle is the vintage I think it is there may well be a barrel code on the left side of the barrel, just in front of the brass cartridge head and slightly below. It will probably be two letters like BU or OW, they will tell you exactly when it was made IF the rifle has the codes. Nice piece.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
oberndorf

Post by oberndorf »

Thanks Jim, appreciate the help.

The serial# is 112359.

My question about the serial # is in the below pics, normally on some of the pics I saw, there is a serial# in this area with a "C" above, this gun doesn't have one.

Thanks
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Using the number alone puts it right at the end of 1929 or very early 1930.

This gun should have the barrel code I described, look for it and we can tell the month/year of manufacture. They started putting the serials on the side late in production.

Again...............on the barrel just in front of the shell head and below, should be two letters and sometimes they can be a bit faint.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
oberndorf

Post by oberndorf »

Thanks Jim, I was able to locate the code on the barrel. the is "KW".
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

That would mean May 1928. Trying to set a date by the serial # is frustrating. Nambujim got as close as is possible with only the serial #. The date code gives the month/year of assembly.