stainless steel barrels on early 700's

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
frank r

stainless steel barrels on early 700's

Post by frank r »

Does anyone know what year they started using stainless steel barrels that were blued on early 700?
were they all marked stainless steel? I have a 1970 BDL in 7mag it is stamped under the 7mag mark stainless steel. I have seen a 300 win mag stamped the same way .. I seen a 1972 BDL in 7mag not stamped stainless steel.
But I seen a 1972 hang tag for a BDL that said at the bottom stainless steel barrel in 7mm mag and 264 win mag.
so the tag stated only 7mm and 264 mag stainless steel barrel. So wondering if anyone had information on this subject.

Thanks frank.
Wulfman

Re: stainless steel barrels on early 700's

Post by Wulfman »

frank r wrote:Does anyone know what year they started using stainless steel barrels that were blued on early 700?
were they all marked stainless steel? I have a 1970 BDL in 7mag it is stamped under the 7mag mark stainless steel. I have seen a 300 win mag stamped the same way .. I seen a 1972 BDL in 7mag not stamped stainless steel.
But I seen a 1972 hang tag for a BDL that said at the bottom stainless steel barrel in 7mm mag and 264 win mag.
so the tag stated only 7mm and 264 mag stainless steel barrel. So wondering if anyone had information on this subject.

Thanks frank.
The last year for the magnum stainless steel barrels in those years was 1970. I had checked the catalogs for previous discussions on the forum and verified which year the switched from stainless to ordnance steel and found my post by doing a search on "stainless" to answer your question.
Coincidentally, I just ran across a 7mm Mag BDL in a local gun shop which was a stainless steel with the stock style they switched to in 1969. I didn't have a barrel date code list with me, but I presumed that it had to be either a '69 or '70 vintage, and it didn't appear to have been restocked. It was pretty well-worn.
Numerous discussions about many subjects have taken place on the forum and are in the archives, so doing searches on the subject will usually provide lots of information.

Den

600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Stainless barrels were produced along with the introduction of the 7mmRM in '62. They were not marked as such the first 12 months or so. They were also 23.5" in length. Along with marking them Stainless Steel, the length was increased to a full 24" in the '63 model year. The 7mmRM, 264WM, and the 300WM were all SS until the '70 model year. Your 1972 hang-tag stating SS is an anomaly, possibly left over from the final year of SS production. As a side note, the 17 Rem. introduced in the early 70s also had SS barrels although unmarked as such. The 40X series of target rifles had stainless barrel options, although usually left in the bright state.
frank r

Post by frank r »

Thank you both for the information..As I have a 1970 BDL in 7mag that is stamped stainless steel and I have seen a few of them but never knew when they started and stopped them.. I recently acquired A 1972 mint condition 700 BDL in 7 mm mag from a collector that is in route to me.. The hag tag states }stainless steel barrel in 264 win mag and 7 mm Remington Magnum calibers. just as I typed it... Is what is says..On the tag.. I asked the collector and he stated that is the original hag tag..the box had been destroyed some years back...So I don't know..I know the barrel is not stamped...really does not matter to me. I was just wondering. Here in a week or so I might be able to provide a picture of that hang tag...But the tag does state stainless steel barrel in 264 and 7mm mag only. so was there a year where they only did the 264 and 7 mag?