Very confusing 788

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
kgun3

Very confusing 788

Post by kgun3 »

I recently inherited a 788 from my late grandfather chambered in 22-250. In the process of learning about my new firearm, I have only become more confused. Countless searches and even a phone call to Remington has left me even more perplexed. According to Remington's website, this caliber was only manufactured in 1967. The serial number for my gun reads A3000XXX. The barrel code says KA18. Neither of these numbers correspond to a gun made in 1967 or even close. The barrel code would indicate May of 54 or 80? 80 falls within the production run of the 788 but not in 22-250. The serial doesn't come close to the blocks for 67, but rather 1975? The Remington rep wasn't much help either. She told me if the A was dropped from the SN, then it would fit for 67, but not according to their website even if dropping digits was a common practice. Any help or thoughts on this would really help. Thank you.
Wulfman

Re: Very confusing 788

Post by Wulfman »

kgun3 wrote:I recently inherited a 788 from my late grandfather chambered in 22-250. In the process of learning about my new firearm, I have only become more confused. Countless searches and even a phone call to Remington has left me even more perplexed. According to Remington's website, this caliber was only manufactured in 1967. The serial number for my gun reads A3000XXX. The barrel code says KA18. Neither of these numbers correspond to a gun made in 1967 or even close. The barrel code would indicate May of 54 or 80? 80 falls within the production run of the 788 but not in 22-250. The serial doesn't come close to the blocks for 67, but rather 1975? The Remington rep wasn't much help either. She told me if the A was dropped from the SN, then it would fit for 67, but not according to their website even if dropping digits was a common practice. Any help or thoughts on this would really help. Thank you.
First of all, you need to take the information from Remington's site with a grain of salt. I have factory variations that aren't listed in there, too.
I also have Remington catalogs for most of the years going back to 1968 and the .22-250 was definitely listed in the Model 788 calibers in the catalogs until they stopped making the rifle.
The "A" serial number prefix also puts it in the late 1970s era, too.
The correct date is May of 1980.

And, in my opinion, they made a HUGE mistake by dropping the production of that rifle, too. It was a big seller and at a decent price.

Den

John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

The employees at Rem get info from records that are not accurate. These inquires are not their top priority either. The corporate culture is to produce new products, not dig out info on old ones. Although it is discouraging I can understand where their effort is...
kgun3

Post by kgun3 »

Thank you so much for your help. I really got the feeling last night that this gun was a late 70's early 80's gun after I realized that the safety design had been changed with my rifle having the new style. Thank you again!