Remington model 14 - firing pin protrusion

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Flick

Remington model 14 - firing pin protrusion

Post by Flick »

I recently finished a complete disaasembly and reassembly of a model 14 in .30 Rem. I was interested to know what the firing pin protrusion should measure. Any data would be appreciated.
nambujim

Re: Remington model 14 - firing pin protrusion

Post by nambujim »

I have received several emails from "friends" insisting I respond to your request so in an effort to be helpful I will emphatically state "beats the hell out of me".

I can't even guess how many new firing pins I've installed since I started working on these rifles but based on my pain index because you hurt yourself in some way every time you install one I would say 40-50. I have never had one that didn't work using factory contour of the pin extension. Many new firing pins need to have metal removed to allow them to fit in the slot but never found the need to alter the pin itself much less measure how far out it extends.

This is probably not helpful to you but few details were included in your request like "is the pin penetrating the primer". I will tell you this in the strongest possible terms "reloaded ammunition is the cause of about 70% of all Model 14 malfunctions". This is 1910 technology, not 2015 so you need to use what WORKED back then and not what you THINK will work today.

Don't mind my sarcasm, I tend to treat everyone this way but hope my reply helps some.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Flick

Post by Flick »

Hiya Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I have read much of the model 14 and 141 information in this forum and suspected that you would most likely be the one to respond. By the way, a big thanks to you and all of the others who have shared quite a wealth of knowledge here.

I suppose the question is actually more fundamental and pertains to firing pin protrusion vs. primer in general and isn’t really a model 14/141 unique specification. I did post it model specific hoping that someone like you who has reworked many units may have some measured data that indicated what is typically observed, especially after so many years of use. It might be interesting for you to spot check a few as time goes on since you are likely to see more of these than most of us.

I know it is only fair for all to contribute what they can, so I will share my data point. My model 14 (30 Rem) was manufactured in 1917. After a complete DCLA of the breech block, my firing pin protrusion measured 0.062 inches.

Some of the “homework” I was doing for this found me reading Walter J. Howe’s book “Professional Gunsmithing” copyright 1946. On pages 78-79 he shares: “The proper protrusion of a firing pin is .060”, the minimum being .055” and the maximum .065”.

Given Howe’s credentials and the coinciding time frame of the information with that of the rifle model, I am satisfied that the value I measured is right where it should be.

Flick.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Roger all that, probably more info than I needed to know, and someday when I am totally bored I will measure the firing pin protrusion on the 35-40 bolts sitting in my parts drawer.

I find that old books like that have a wealth of information in them as well as old American Rifleman magazines, the new ones are good only for starting fires.

Glad I could be of some help!

Take care!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson