Mod 721 Restoration

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
shooter12

Mod 721 Restoration

Post by shooter12 »

Hello.
I'm new here but not at all new to firearms. Recently I acquired a Rem mod 721 (.270) from a friend after his 98 year old father died. Apparently his father bought this rifle new. From what I have scoured up on it, it is all original. Fortunately there have been no amateurish alterations to this rifle. in fact, it has never even had a scope mounted on it. The chamber and throat are clean with very little wear, and the barrel and crown are the same. I believe this rifle has been carried a lot more than it has been shot.

I had entertained thoughts of robbing the action and making a custom shooter from it but I must admit that I have a soft spot for a "classic" rifle, And this thing has history. So I will give it a respectful restoration.

I am curious however of the date of manufacture. Based on the barrel stamping and internet searching I have come to believe it is a 1961 production. The last year of production I believe. But it is the only one I have seen that does not have the barrel swell below the rear sight. Am I correct in my deduction?

Barrel stamp reads:

0H 32
Wulfman

Re: Mod 721 Restoration

Post by Wulfman »

shooter12 wrote:Hello.
I'm new here but not at all new to firearms. Recently I acquired a Rem mod 721 (.270) from a friend after his 98 year old father died. Apparently his father bought this rifle new. From what I have scoured up on it, it is all original. Fortunately there have been no amateurish alterations to this rifle. in fact, it has never even had a scope mounted on it. The chamber and throat are clean with very little wear, and the barrel and crown are the same. I believe this rifle has been carried a lot more than it has been shot.

I had entertained thoughts of robbing the action and making a custom shooter from it but I must admit that I have a soft spot for a "classic" rifle, And this thing has history. So I will give it a respectful restoration.

I am curious however of the date of manufacture. Based on the barrel stamping and internet searching I have come to believe it is a 1961 production. The last year of production I believe. But it is the only one I have seen that does not have the barrel swell below the rear sight. Am I correct in my deduction?

Barrel stamp reads:

0H 32
You are correct. It's 1961. I have a 721 in .264 Win Mag with a "D H" date code and it doesn't have the barrel "hump" either.
Other than cleaning some crud out of the bolt, having the trigger lightened by a qualified gunsmith (it was about 6 lbs. when I got it) and adding bases and scope, I haven't altered mine. I wanted to keep it "as close to original" as possible. It had been used, but not abused. I've had a couple of other 721s and 722s that were so "butt ugly" that I felt some "enhancements" weren't going to hurt their value, but otherwise, I've tried to keep mine as close to original as possible......even though I don't plan on selling them in my lifetime.

Den

shooter12

Post by shooter12 »

I contacted a very knowledgeable friend of mine last night in regards to the barrel swell on my 721. He mentioned that he had seen that before on last year productions of the 721. He believes that while Remington was at that time transitioning to the Mod 700, they probably put 700 style barrels on the 721's. I Found that interesting and at the same time believable.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

If you look at the list on the sticky posts "721 722 725 dates of mfg" you will see the Transition models began around serial number 4103xx and 4125xx.
4125xx 721 3006 B E 1/58 (confirmed transition type barrel, 22", screw on rear sight)
I saw this rifle myself. It is the earliest no barrel swell I have ever seen.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member