New member with 513T

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
jwg930

New member with 513T

Post by jwg930 »

I am new to the RSA and this forum. I have a 513T sn 7232 with a barrel code of DK which I think indicates mfg in Sept of 1941. BUT the sn seems to be within the June '41 mfg series according to the factory mfg date and SN page. there is also a different 4 digit number on the inside(underside) of the butt plate that has imprinted into the stock butt. I have everything but a magazine (6 shot clip). The stock has been sanded and is smooth with no dents. Any suggestions on how to finish the stock? Oil or what? where can I find a clip? I have had this in my possession since 1953 when I inherited it from my father. Hasn't been fired in over 45 years. I have disassembled, cleaned and lubricated everything and it all works fine on the bench. Am refurbishing the rear sight and then out to the range.

I have several other Remington rifles and shotguns in various calibers and guages. I look forward to increasing my knowledge via these forums.
nambujim

Re: New member with 513T

Post by nambujim »

I would refinish the stock using Boiled Linseed Oil, easy to apply, probably what was on it to begin with, and looks great.

Go with the barrel code and ignore the serial number "range" thing because they are just a guide and it was common practice at Remington to make rifles outside the serial number range during any given month. I think you will find that the magazine holds five "5" rounds and not six.

As far as the different serial on the stock & butt plate, again this wasn't an unusual practice at Remington. I mainly work on Model 14's and it took them more than 25 years before they started putting matching numbers on the rifle, stock, & butt plate. It could also be the rifle was restocked at one time but rather doubt it, they're very sturdy, and rarely if ever broke unless you drove a truck over it.

I broke form replying to this only because I'm an "old" small bore marksman that appreciates the rifles made in that era but there could be someone else on the Forum that could provide you with better information.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
jwg930

Re: New member with 513T

Post by jwg930 »

:D thank you Jim, very helpful information.