Model 141 in .35 Rem - Barrel Length

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Peaceful Pirate

Model 141 in .35 Rem - Barrel Length

Post by Peaceful Pirate »

Good afternoon,

I am seeking some information on a Remington 141 GameMaster I recently acquired from an estate auction. I have studied the excellent article written by Ken Blauch on the 141 carbines and was successful in answering most of my questions; however, I would like to layout the specifics of this particular firearm and see if anyone can address an anomaly it has.

The receiver on this particular 141, chambered in .35 Rem., is serial numbered 17593, which I believe dates it in the 1936-1937 manufacture. The barrel date is “BG”, January 1938.

As noted in Ken Blauch’s article, the 141 carbine was mounted with an 18 1/2 inch barrel, while the rifle barrels were 22 inch and 24 inch. Additionally, the 18 1/2 and 22 inch barrels front sights were dovetail mounted in a rather abbreviated barrel lug, while the 24 inch barrel had a longer lug.

So here is my problem: The 141 I recently acquired has a 20 inch barrel, and additionally, the front sight is dovetailed into a long mounting lug, similar to that shown for the 24 inch barrel.

Everything else fits the 141 carbine/rifle profile with the exception of this 20 inch barrel. I have given some thought to a cut down of the 24 inch barrel and remount of the front sight; however, if this was done, considering the quality of the workmanship, I would almost have to say it was factory done. The quality is that good.

So I am lost and would very much appreciate any thoughts anyone might have to offer.

Many thanks in advance -
Ted

Re: Model 141 in .35 Rem - Barrel Length

Post by Ted »

One of the experts will hopefully confirm, but fairly certain there is a very small number of 141's with 20 inch barrels....
nambujim

Re: Model 141 in .35 Rem - Barrel Length

Post by nambujim »

Pictures are best for determining what you have but all Model 141 Carbines (18-1/2" Barrels) utilized Model 14 Carbine Barrels. Your 20 inch rifle is most likely a cut down rifle, there have been "many" of those on various auction sites over the years.

A twenty inch barrel actually looks pretty cool, practical, and never came out of the factory in that configuration! Again, a picture is worth more than a thousand words. It would not be terribly difficult to install a full length 24" barrel on your rifle but there is one problem in that the factory at the time did NOT use registry marks for barrel alignment...............thus making the job far more annoying for any gunsmith.

Best regards!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson