Please tell me more about the plating on this 1939 510.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
KingpenM3

Please tell me more about the plating on this 1939 510.

Post by KingpenM3 »

Thanks for looking (I'm new here).

I recently acquired a new 500 series rifle. A nickeled/chromed/chromium/something shiny 510. Looks to be a very early production 1939 510 with a serial number underneath the barrel. I'll let the pictures do the talking, but my main question is whether it is possible that the plating and drill and tap was done by the factory. Could the gun have been ordered this way? Could it have been sent back to have this done? Any information on the rifle would be greatly appreciated.

nambujim

Re: Please tell me more about the plating on this 1939 510.

Post by nambujim »

Although I'm a bit out of my element here I seriously doubt this was done at the factory. If it was returned to the factory to have it done it would have a barrel code followed by a "3". Remington didn't do much in the way of nickel plating during that period, whatever the finish it was done a long time ago and poorly. It almost looks like it was electroplated, been exposed to 500 series rifles for a long time and they have all been blue or Parkerized. I'll bet its fun shooting it outside with the Sun reflecting off the barrel......oh well, its an interesting piece.

Hopefully you will get a more educated response from someone!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson