572 with no barrel dowel screw??

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Bull nutria

572 with no barrel dowel screw??

Post by Bull nutria »

I have a no serial number 572 with the barrel stamped WD which is August 1957 manufacture date? it does not have a barrel dowel screw?? when did REM begin the barrel dowel screw and why?

the receiver is grooved for a scope mount. The rifle has seen some hard use but not abuse.

anything you can tell me about this model would be of interest.

Bull
Bull nutria

Re: 572 with no barrel dowel screw??

Post by Bull nutria »

where are the 572 collectors? somebody must have the answer to my question??

Bull
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

There were several minor changes in the M/572 during the production run. As an example, at least four different butt plates were used. If yours was made in 1957 it may have a hole in the trigger guard. Yours would be near the time of transition to some internal parts changes. Many parts did not interchange between the earlier and late versions. I hate to admit it, but I don't know what a barrel dowel screw is.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

John Gyde wrote:There were several minor changes in the M/572 during the production run. As an example, at least four different butt plates were used. If yours was made in 1957 it may have a hole in the trigger guard. Yours would be near the time of transition to some internal parts changes. Many parts did not interchange between the earlier and late versions. I hate to admit it, but I don't know what a barrel dowel screw is.
The barrel dowel screw is the screw that is about one inch back from the front of the receiver on the left side, near the top.

http://www.remington.com/pages/support/ ... nuals.aspx

or

http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_572.pdf

Den

Last edited by Wulfman on Sun May 10, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Bull nutria wrote:I have a no serial number 572 with the barrel stamped WD which is August 1957 manufacture date? it does not have a barrel dowel screw?? when did REM begin the barrel dowel screw and why?

the receiver is grooved for a scope mount. The rifle has seen some hard use but not abuse.

anything you can tell me about this model would be of interest.

Bull
From your post, it's unclear whether your rifle is drilled and tapped for one (but I'm guessing it isn't).
But, if it's not, I don't know the answer as to when they were put in there.
My 572 from the 1990s has the screw.

Den

Bull nutria

Post by Bull nutria »

no my no serial number 572 has no place for the dowel screw, the left side of the receiver is smooth. i noticed that the bolt is different than my later models also. I was curious as what is the purpose of dowel screw?

1- does it stabilize the barrel in the receiver to increase accuracy? were these early 572 prone to have a loose barrel to receiver fit??

2- does it do something else?

Bull
Bull nutria

Post by Bull nutria »

no my no serial number 572 has no place for the dowel screw, the left side of the receiver is smooth. i noticed that the bolt is different than my later models also. I was curious as what is the purpose of dowel screw?

1- does it stabilize the barrel in the receiver to increase accuracy? were these early 572 prone to have a loose barrel to receiver fit??

2- does it do something else?

Bull