Meaning of "SA Grade" in 1962 brochure for 513T Matchmaster

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
mdcalvert

Meaning of "SA Grade" in 1962 brochure for 513T Matchmaster

Post by mdcalvert »

FIRST FORUM POST

I have recently acquired three Remington Model 513T's - two are MilSpec and one is a civilian model. The MilSpec rifles were obtained from the CMP at Anniston (04/2007) and they are both finished with a Parkerized finish and both have been rebuilt once or twice.

In looking for information about parts, I found a copy of the factory brochure for the rifle that is marked on the last page as being "Form RD-5652" with Revision 1162. I am guessing the revision code means the brochure was updated in November 1962.

In the parts listing, the term "SA Grade" - always followed by "Discontinued" -- appears for several items. For example:

"Part No 401 - Barrel, SA Grade (discontinued) (not shown) $12.10
Part No 522 - Front Sight Ramp, SA Grade (discontinued) (not shown) $ 1.65"

I am curious as to whether or not the 'SA" relates to parts that were produced for the WW2 War Department or the later DoD. If so, are they always Parkerized?

I have also seen that some parts of Remington shotguns appear to be offered in grades that are similar, i.e., SA, SA1, SA2, etc.

Thanks for any help and insight you may have.

MDCalvert
nambujim

Re: Meaning of "SA Grade" in 1962 brochure for 513T Matchmas

Post by nambujim »

A long time back I had "several" 513's and from my fading memory I believe the SA was the "sport model" and unlike other versions mine had a 24" tapered barrel..........was marked on the Barrel Matchmaster Model 513SA, it also had a factory ramp/hood front sight, sporting checkered stock, and front/rear mounted sling swivel studs like for use with a hook type sling. It looked a lot like and was probably marketed to compete with the Winchester 75 sporter. Hope this helps but my opinion of this particular rifle was such I traded it for a 75 Sporter but both are somewhat rare and difficult to find. One last thing, I believe the SA version weighed in at about 6# so it was far lighter in weight than the other versions. I don't have one that dates that far back but the old Gun Digest and Shooters Bible from the 50's, 60's, 70's............and even before make good reference material when trying to find info on rifles from that period...............and Hey! look what I found on the internet, a picture of one!
Attachments
6777429f844b497e6741760507faa21e.jpg
6777429f844b497e6741760507faa21e.jpg (74.49 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
Jim Peterson