Remington Model 14, 14-1/2, and 141 Parts at Numrich & Ebay

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nambujim

Remington Model 14, 14-1/2, and 141 Parts at Numrich & Ebay

Post by nambujim »

Periodically I try to inform anyone interested that these rifles are very parts "specific" the short version of which means "one part doesn't fit all". Numrich & Ebay listings many times show "Model 14 or 141" when that isn't the case at all. You must be very careful when buying an individual part because the chances of a particular firing pin, cartridge stop, action bar cover, stock, bolts, and many other parts fitting your particular gun perfectly are slim.

As a rule very late Model 14 parts will indeed fit in a 141 (say serial 106,000 and up and vice-versa. Most 141 parts will fit other 141's and the late 14's about 95% of the time. The real problem is that while the earlier 14 parts sure look like what you need for a 141 they just won't fit. Action bar covers came in several designs and the early ones that Numrich was selling (when they had them) were the early design and were listed for both the 14 & 141, and trust me they won't fit anything other than a Model 14 made before serial 25,000ish!!

Action bar covers for the 141 are very specific having an 1/8" groove running down the entire length because of the larger diameter barrel, they are the most broken part and therefore in the greatest demand. Late firing pins with the narrow/tapered front on the lower part will fit 99% of 14's & 141's but you will have to remove the hook extension for some of the older 14's. The old style pin with the square block style on the lower/front will fit into place on a late bolt but will jam on the first try for lack of clearance on the inside of the bolt.

Bolts are a whole different story in that Remington inserted a washer in the top of the frame on later Model 14's and all 141's so that bolts from earlier models will not be able to lock up AND the action bars were milled differently as well with an extra cut on the back end. The bolts used on the rifles with the washer insert were milled on the top front face so as to allow them to readily hook up. Add this to the fact there are several overall bolt designs for the early to late Model 14 along with changes to the firing pins and other parts.

When Remington added the hook/lever safety to the trigger guard assembly & bolt it required more clearance back into the stock so if you go to replace the stock and get an earlier one it might fit perfectly but will hang up on the first "shuck" and the only reasonable way to clear this is to remove the stock which will free the bolt instantly but then you must open it up along the sides and back to give the bolt extension more clearance. I think Remington must have had at least three or four patterns for their Model 14 trigger assemblies because that's about your chance (1 in 4) you can find an old stock that will fit your trigger guard.

My reason for mentioning any/all of the above is to be wary of certain key parts when purchasing because the seller through no real fault of his own doesn't fully understand that 100 years ago and even up until 65 years ago when the last 141 was made, most of the parts were hand fit and were specific to the rifle. Parts like magazine plugs, stock bolts, and the like are not a real problem but even the plugs will require cleaning and in most cases you will need to relieve some metal from inside the end of the tube for it to fit properly.

Parts have been selling like crazy and my 35+ year accumulation is down almost to the point where I no longer feel comfortable selling some hard to find items. Just one last note, most feed problems with ANY of these rifles is because of the ammunition. Brass is hard to find, OACL is critical, and these rifles beat the snot out of the brass so it can't be used much more that 3-4 times even if you clean up the rim. A cartridge just a hair too long will feed poorly and/or jam and anything other than round nose bullets for the rifle calibers will most certainly jam eventually (RNFP is perfect for the Model 14-1/2 but NOT the 14/141).

Some folks selling aftermarket rounds don't listen and continue to sell pointed ammunition which is fine for the Model 8/81 and single shot for the 14/141 but they will eventually give you the "jam out of hell" in your rifle. Remember the factory "hang tag" that came with these rifles stated "use round nose ammunition only". Buffalo Arms does make note that their pointed ammunition will not work in the Model 14, kudo's to Buffalo!

I pass this info on, only as a service based on my years of experience along with the fact I repair these rifles on a regular basis and have repaired TG's and bolts from several foreign countries. Just trying to help but please keep in mind that these rifles are essentially "the latest in 1910 technology", you must think about that when messing with them. In closing I will just add that if you are NEW to these rifles and go to take one apart there are parts that will fall out and you won't even know it's gone until you put it back together and it doesn't work right, be very careful because those parts are now the tough ones to find.

I have tried to provide you with info on parts, try to answer intelligent emails, and hope you know I can't fix your rifle via email.

Best regards, behave!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
agr1pooh

Re: Remington Model 14, 14-1/2, and 141 Parts at Numrich & E

Post by agr1pooh »

Good info I am new to having a Remington 141 .32cal 1938, where can I find ammo and exactly what type should it be. thank you
Robert R.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I responded to your other posting.

I actually have a box of .32 Remington for sale on Gunbroker, this is factory stuff with the .32 Remington head stamp. I consider the best source for new ammo made from now reformed brass because Remington ceased making new brass a year and a half ago............is Buffalo Arms in Idaho, have no idea as to their current pricing or whether it is currently available.

80-85% of loading & feed problems with these rifles come from the ammunition. These rifles were made to use ROUND NOSE bullets only because of the complex feed system and the number of sharp edges the round must pass over before entering the chamber. The spiral magazine was ONLY to keep the nose of one round off the primer of the round in front of it AND the hang tags that came on the new rifles specifically stated "Use Round Nose Bullets Only".

Hopefully I've made my point but will add that OACL is critical with this rifle and if a reloaded round is just a hair too long they will feed poorly and jam eventually. When these rifles jam, it isn't pretty, and are in some cases exceptionally difficult to clear. Use old factory rounds to set your reloading dies and if all of the above doesn't turn you off consider that these rifles were designed to use NEW pristine ammunition. The load/feed/eject system is brutal to brass so even if you come up with some it won't last through more than 3-4 loadings. You can clean up the nicks off the rims but after you do it 3-4 times the rim becomes undersize and will load & eject poorly if at all.

Hope this helps!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
agr1pooh

Post by agr1pooh »

Thank you so much for all of the information. do you have a link to you gun broker ammo sale. or how much are you asking. I only want to try the rifle out a couple rounds and possibly sell it.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Just enter on the search "32 Remington Ammunition" and my listing is like third and the ONLY one in red. Its $79 buy it now and $8 postage. This time next year it will probably be double that.
Jim Peterson
agr1pooh

Post by agr1pooh »

I am considering your offer(via email) thanks. Also, I was curious of the rarity(how many produced) of my .32, and estimated valuation. If I decided to sell what would be the best platform. Do you have or know where there maybe a drawing or manual of this rifle, the only one I see out there is wanting.
Robert R.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

The Model 14 and 14-1/2 serials ran together but about 126-128,000 total.
Repair Manuals are available on Ebay, there is a printable schematic on the Numrich web site. It's not my job or place to put a value on your rifle but in that caliber, drilled for a scope, and in that condition..............it has more value in parts than anything else. "I" would purchase it only as a parts gun.....like $225 plus postage and you can keep the scope. My guess is about 20% of the production was in 32 Caliber.

Ken Blauch (the Godfather of the Model 14) put together a remarkable "book" on the Model 14, 141, 14-1/2, and 25 that covers many areas of production when certain modifications were made, etc. Ken was charging like $20-30 delivered for the book but ran out a few years back and having it updated/reprinted is an ordeal but he's been working on it. Copies show up on Ebay from time to time with prices ranging from $30-55.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

My fault!

I've spent several hours responding to a number of requests on the forum and those sent to me directly...............your rifle of course is a 141 and not a 14.

About 77,000 141's were made and just guessing but most were in .35 Remington, probably 75%. A handful (couple dozen maybe) in .25 Remington, and the rest in .30 & 32. Again, I wild guess here says 15% in .30 Caliber and .10% in .32.

...............your rifle is slightly better than a parts gun but the scope mount deflates the value considerably, I'd still offer up $250 for it for parts, and you keep the scope.

Jim
Jim Peterson
agr1pooh

Post by agr1pooh »

Thank you very much for all of your help and knowledge! I will send you an email this evening regarding the 32cal and 32 brass hole plug.
Robert R.
andygee

Post by andygee »

Hi there.

I'm a newby to this site and came across it and registered as I am having trouble with my model 14 1/2. I'm in Warwick Australia. The loading door is fouling on the receiver when you close the action. It looks like the loading door is fouling on the cartridge stop. Nothing looks overly worn. I don't think this rifle has had a lot of use.

I'm hoping this is a common problem and an easy fix??? :lol: but knowing how things go probably not.

This rifle was firing and loading/recycling the action without any problems. I picked it up about 10 years ago for next to nothing from a dealer who didnt really know what it was. These are not that common in Australia.

I hunt a lot of feral pigs and deer around here and I found this is a great rifle for my younger sons 10-14yo cause the big old 44/40 packs a lot of hit without a lot of recoil.

I do love the history of these rifles particularly the military use. I use a 1917 smle for hunting myself (the same as was issued to my grandfather in ww1) but the .303 round is a bit of a smack in the shoulder for the young ones.

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated as I have 6 sons, 2 are young men now but still got 4 others to "educate". Thanks
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Andy!

I actually purchased a number of these rifles from AU before they shut down exports. It was a great source of parts, decent old rifles, and the folks I dealt with were a delight.

To tell you that your problem is common would be a distortion of the truth, in fact I have never seen or heard of this situation in the past. The loading door on the Model 14 is hinged on the other side of the opening on the action bar along with being recessed makes the situation you described with the 14-1/2 impossible.

In my "opinion" and without having your rifle on my bench (which is never going to happen) the most likely situation is that the spring/plunger that operate the loading gate have become dislodged just enough so the door/gate will not fully close. It could be that the base or stem of the plunger broke off leaving just the spring in place but I'm only guessing.

You need to remove the pin that holds the loading gate in place, remove the gate/loading door and make sure both the spring & plunger are in the proper place. Again, I'm only guessing here but its obvious the door/gate are not fully closing so something is broken and/or getting in the way. Its unfortunate but in order to remove & reinstall the gate you need to remove the action bar magazine assembly from the rifle but not necessarily......it just makes it so much easier.

I doubt anyone "down under" has replacement parts or even knows how to work on these rifles, there are few of us here that can. Dis-assembly can be tricky and other parts can fall out and/or just dis-appear during take down so be very careful. Again.......the short version, something is either broken thus holding the door open or obstructing it from fully closing.

One last thought, if you are using soft lead cast bullets it just takes one small lead shaving to mess up the spring & plunger, a lead shaving is also enough to keep the loading gate from fully closing.

Good luck mate!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
andygee

Post by andygee »

Thanks for that advice. We'll have a go at that and i'll let you know how we go. Thanks again mate.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Andy!

One other thing I thought of, possibly the little spring that works the loading gate has become weak so as not to exert enough pressure to close it completely. These are like 1918 springs and they do give out or break far more easily than the more modern versions. It isn't much of a spring so if it has become compressed it could cause the problem, its not a problem with the 14's simply because the loading door/gate design is so different.

Something to look at or at least try.

Best of luck.

Jim
Jim Peterson