Wither REMINGTON!

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
iskra1

Wither REMINGTON!

Post by iskra1 »

Having initiated a thread in another forum concerning the fate of Remington the firm, I'd referenced a recent New York Times article. (Web link just below) In subsequent 'give & take', my latest 'take' a somber 'waxing poetic' reflected below. Perhaps a bit over the edge, yet it well represents my sad/nostalgic view of the situation as portrayed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/busin ... .html?_r=0

Waxing Poetic...

I was set to thinking about a famous quote from those “Guns of August” days presaging WWI. That from British Foreign Secretary, Viscount Sir Edward Grey:

“The lamps are going out all over Europe; we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime.”

And the big “IF”... Remington does disappear, something of a poignant analogy for the world of American gun manufacturers and their ever diminishing lamps… Now perhaps simply approaching a different sort of 'Guns of August' event.

My take
nambujim

Re: Wither REMINGTON!

Post by nambujim »

"Waxing Poetic" are we, then I'll do the same "Go Stuff It"!
Jim Peterson
iskra1

Post by iskra1 »

"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second, it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident." Schopenhauer.

And awaiting Step two.... :)
longislandloco

Post by longislandloco »

Don't hold your breadth, with all the investments made at Ilion in new CNC equipment no way the are closed down, the loss would be catastrophic to Cerebus. The NY Times is a liberal rag looking to "sell" news.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

My take.........

From an historic standpoint, many of the firearms manufacturers have been owned, bought and sold (in some cases, several times) by other entities with deeper pockets over the course of their respective histories. To name a couple, Remington was owned by DuPont and Winchester was owned by Olin.......for decades.
However, with these humongous "capital investment" conglomerates gobbling up many of them, it could leave them all at the mercy of a few events (like lawsuits) or changes in the "political winds" and they could fall on REALLY hard times or disappear. Some of the others I've also wondered about are the ammunition and accessory conglomerates like ATK.

I think part of the future of these companies depends on what happens politically in the next couple of years.
Time will tell. But, I don't put much credibility in the NY Times either.

Den