M40 info wanted

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
steveu

M40 info wanted

Post by steveu »

I am looking for any information on a M40, sn:2243xx. I did contact the Remington historian, sent them a picture of the rifle. They confirmed that the rifle was produced as a M40 in 1966. I also have a M40 scope with the sn:275xxx on it.
nambujim

Re: M40 info wanted

Post by nambujim »

Steve!

I think the reason you haven't received much in the way of response is you provided little in the way of information but being an "ex" small bore shooter I was more than familiar with the 40X small bore (.22 Rimfire) rifle which in later years morphed into the 40XB BUT there were also center fire versions such as the 40-XB-CF (Center Fire) and the 40-XB-BR (Bench Rest) and last but hardly least was the 40-XB-CF International Free Rifle.

The center fire versions came in a "gaggle" of calibers, some could be purchased with stainless steel barrels, heavy or standard barrels, and for a nominal extra cost of $40 you could add the fantastic 2 ounce trigger. In 1966 the 40X small bore rifle was "about" $180 without sights, the center fire versions $225, and the International rifle about $350 but I'm not sure if it was released for sale at that time.

All versions of the Model 40-XB came with "scope blocks" screwed to the barrel for use with what was then a very common and exceptional variety of target scopes made by primarily Unertl, Lyman, Litschert, and Redfield. There were indeed others made but in my rather extensive travels as a competitive shooter have no recollection of a Model 40 Remington Scope but perhaps I misunderstood your description. There is little question in my mind that the most popular scope of the period was the Unertl 1-1/2" Objective Target scope that came in a variety of power settings, 16X being the most popular for "position" rifle shooting (20X for prone small bore shooting). Unertl introduced right around that period the BV-20 mainly for bench rest shooters of which I never participated but the BV prefix stood for "Bench Varmit" and it was and still is a marvelous piece of workmanship.

PLease understand my background was small bore and high power rifle competitive shooting, it gets very personal when equipment was involved, and every true "marksman" had his opinion as to what worked best for him.
My opinion of the Model 40X or 40XB as it was later designated is that it was cumbersome, used mainly by "prone" shooters, and never saw any wide acceptance by really accomplished shooters in the 50's & 60's. The 52 Winchester was a far better base rifle and when equipped with an aftermarket thumbhole stock, adjustable buttplate, and palm rest was the main rifle of choice UNTIL Anchutz hit the market. Now that I've badmouthed the 40-X butwill state for the record the Model 37 Remington when modified in a similar fashion to the 52 Winchester and adding a Canjar Trigger was as good as any rifle into the early 60's..........again which is when Anschutz took over the market.

Perhaps if you posted a picture, provided the caliber of the rifle, and any other information we could be more helpful.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Gamemaster32

Post by Gamemaster32 »

I'm thinking a 7.62mm U.S.M.C. M-40 sniper rifle?
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Of course! You are probably "right on" but Steve didn't provide much info and seriously I always considered those as Model 700's........my fault but then I'm an Air Force guy. There is a lot of info on the net about the M40A1 Sniper and "if" that is what it is he should look there but as I recall those rifles had the scope blocks I described and utilized Unertl Scopes so I wasn't totally off the mark. Good observation on your part. Behave!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Gamemaster32

Post by Gamemaster32 »

Yes sir...the Model 700; you weren't off the mark! I believe a few "genuine" ones have sold from time-to-time on the CMP's online auction, and they have brought BIG $$.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/guns-on-auction/

No marginalization of the Air Force..there are some "high speed" Air Force guys who know their way around precision rifles extremely well. God bless 'em.
steveu

Post by steveu »

It is an M40 in 7.62mm. What I am looking for is any information to where it was sent when it left the factory and its configuration. As I understand it, most went to the fleet then to Nam. About 150 (without scopes) went to the MC depot in Georgia for spares. I have Senich's book, but I want more info. Specifically, sn's on those that were delivered to the other services for T&E.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Hey Steve!

It's highly unlikely you will ever get that information, Remington's records are not in the best of order, and the best you can really hope for is that your rifle has a barrel code on it.

I do like your badge, you don't see many of those around, and the chaps that earned them back in the 1940-1980 era were truly fine shots, congratulations!

Pic attached..............trying to figure out why the one I received in the late 50's is smaller...........but it is real gold. Take care and behave!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Attachments
Aug21^01.JPG
Aug21^01.JPG (72.6 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
Jim Peterson