Tons of questions about my model 14 purchased yesterday!

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
onafetsid

Tons of questions about my model 14 purchased yesterday!

Post by onafetsid »

Hello everyone! First off, thank you for all the questions and answers that I've read in the past 24 hours on here. What a great resource this is! Several months ago i saw a model 14 for the first time in a shop. I did some basic research on it and decided I wanted one in 35 Rem. Yesterday I went to the gun show and happened to walk up on one! Bought it for $400. I think I got a descent deal (I hope LOL). It does have a modern Tasco scope mounted on it which I know hurts value and the bluing is all gone but it's in solid shape, everything fits tight and feels like it should be a good shooter which is what i wanted. I'll post pics below, hopefully it can help with the database I keep reading about on here. I do have tons of questions though.

1. It does not seem to have the date markings on it and everything I'm reading on here suggests that it is pre 1921. from several posts I've seen on here I think it may have been made between 1914-1917. the serial number on the bottom of the receiver is C413XX. Can anyone tell me the actual year it was made?

2. I read numerous times on here "round tip ammo only!" Thank you for that to start, I was going to buy the Hornady Levelution ammo but you guys saved me from that mistake! I do not reload and most likely won,t for several years. I plan on hopefully doing some deer hunting with it. What brand factory ammo and what bullet grain would y'all suggest for both regular range shooting and deer hunting that won't jam or damage the firearm?

3. How thorough do y'all clean your model 14's? Do you really get all inside and scrub or do you just worry about the barrel mostly? Also, what points in the rifle do you oil and/or put gun grease on?

4. Is the book about the model 14's that y'all mention in other posts still available and where can i get it? I checked amazon to no avail.

Thanks in advance for reading this and any answers given! If there is any other info y'all need about the rifle please ask.
Attachments
2015-07-29 20.44.24.jpg
2015-07-29 20.44.24.jpg (219.17 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
2015-07-29 20.43.45.jpg
2015-07-29 20.43.45.jpg (229.43 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
Last edited by onafetsid on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nambujim

Re: Tons of questions about my model 14 purchased yesterday!

Post by nambujim »

I've posted so many notices about using round nose ammo only it has become tiresome so consider this, your rifle is the latest in 1910 technology so think that way. Anything other that Round Nose bullets will jam, the new leverevolution bullets with the ballistic tip will give you the jam from hell.

Your rifle was probably made in 1915 based on the serial number so I can tell you right off the top of my head...............its filthy inside and these things are very tricky to take apart. Not difficult but tricking in that parts will eject or fall out during the take down process and will never be seen again, you won't know they're gone until you attempt to re-assemble and/or it won't function properly after re-assembly.

Lucky you that the rifle is in .35 Remington so you can at least purchase factory ammo but if you go to reload remember OACL is critical and here again you will get a really nice jam if the round is too long. Also (again) these rifles are brutal on brass so you will only get 3-4 loadings out of a new piece of brass and you will need to clean up the rim after each firing, this of course reduces the size of the rim a bit so after those 3-4 loadings the round will feed or eject poorly or not at all.

Yeah, scopes hurt the value but if you're going to use it for hunting it should be fine. Problem is, sometimes the idiot that mounted the scope will have the screws in too far to the point where it makes it difficult or impossible to remove the bolt. You have 100 years of dirt, crud, dried oil, and God only knows how many different blends of smokeless/black powder rounds were run through the rifle. If the bore is in pretty decent shape I would think the rifle had been well maintained but can tell you for certain that when/if you get the action bar/magazine tube off and go to clean it out you will be amazed at how much filth, power residue, and other crap comes out of it. OH..........just for laughs my rule of thumb is to deduct from the value of the rifle, $35 for each small screw hole for a scope, $50 for the larger ones. I actually purchased a parts rifle that had 13 holes in the frame alone, it hangs on my shop wall.

OH, if your stock is NOT already cracked at the wrist there is a way to hopefully avoid this by snugging up the stock bolt every 40-50 rounds, the bolt shoots loose and will flex against the stock (which is weak to begin with) and it will crack but they can be repaired by a decent stock man.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
onafetsid

Post by onafetsid »

I cant figure out how to put the pictures up. It keeps saying the file is too big.... Thanks for the info and advise!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

onafetsid wrote:I cant figure out how to put the pictures up. It keeps saying the file is too big.... Thanks for the info and advise!
Well if they are just to big you have to reduce them a bit ;)

If you can't figure out how hit the email button and send them to me and I'll reduce and post for you.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

simple answer - you suck! Because you now have one and I don't - yet! Seriously - Congrats! I have been trying to get a 141 35 Rem w/in my budget and so far missing them when I probably should just pony up a few more bucks. I will eventually get one. Hope yours shoots great!
onafetsid

Post by onafetsid »

May have to wait for the next gun show to get ammo...