An ex-pat returns

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
old tanker

An ex-pat returns

Post by old tanker »

Just found a Model 14-1/2, serial 20043. Based on the flush "REM-UMC" ammo indicator, the receiver not being tapped for a tang sight, and the last patent date on the barrel "Nov.19.12" as a I'd peg this rifle around 1913 production. It also sports the DCP Canadian proof. What other clues should I look for?
Attachments
DCP proof.jpg
DCP proof.jpg (106.06 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
nambujim

Re: An ex-pat returns

Post by nambujim »

The DCP guns were part of an order for 4,000 in 44-40 for use during the First World War but the serial falls into late 1913 production. These rifles were scattered all over the "empire" but more are showing up everyday. All the DCP examples save one have been rifles and all had wheel sights and low front sights, many have other markings on the frame which are usually "rack" numbers, and its not unusual to find the upper/lower receiver having different serials.

Looks to be a nice example.............like the fact the DCP stamp is sideways, that's a bit different.

I will pass the serial information on to Tom Hemphill who maintains a data base for the 14, 141, 25, and 14-1/2.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
old tanker

Re: An ex-pat returns

Post by old tanker »

Thanks for the info, Jim. As with most of the others, it has the low front sight and the wheel rear sight. Upper and lower match. There are not any rack numbers or such that I can find on the receiver. Nothing painted, stenciled or stamped in the stock either. Action is solid and bore is good. I suspect it might find itself in the woods this fall during deer season.