Remington Model 700 -vs- Model 7

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Scorpion8

Remington Model 700 -vs- Model 7

Post by Scorpion8 »

I've never (sadly) owned a Model 700 although I'd be happy to. But I own two Model 7's. At various times you see Model 700 SA (short-actions) listed such as on Brownell's web-sales. Can someone succinctly tell me the difference between the SA (short-action) 700 and the Model 7 action (which is, actually, very short also)? Which would be preferred if you were doing a custom build? If I own a Model 7, should I experience action-envy over Model 700 SA owners?
NRA Life; NAHC Life; Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ......glory .......lasts forever!
600RemGuy

Re: Remington Model 700 -vs- Model 7

Post by 600RemGuy »

The Seven (spelled out as Remington intended it to be) was produced as a light weight short action carbine for a compact unit for packing into the dense hunting woods. Was never really intended to hold back the pressures of the magnums of that time, although can now do so with the advent of the smooth pressure loads of some of the recent short magnums (note "short"). Always toted as a carbine, that's what it stayed at and was advertised as. As for the envy; you can rest assured the Seven will do pretty much what the 700SA will do , being lighter, shorter lighter bolt as well as being a 1/2 inch shorter at the rear of the action with a similar but not the same adjustable trigger . There are accessories for them, albeit not as many as for the 700s. I own 2; an original in 7mm-08 and a first years SS in 260. Won't give up either. I own one 700 to date! Just don't need any more gun than the Seven can provide. Side by side, I think the Seven will stand up as well as the 700 pretty much any day.
Scorpion8

Re: Remington Model 700 -vs- Model 7

Post by Scorpion8 »

Thanks for the great info. I have two also, a 7mm-08 and a .243. The .243 has a shorter barrel, which makes it great for SE-AK woods although the cartridge is not really a woods-gun. The 7mm-08 has 2" more barrel but still sounds like a 7mm Rem Ultra Mag when touched off. The 7mm-08 may make me move away from my 7x57's because they take a longer action. Not truly a fan of Remmie's synthetic stock but it is pretty indestructible.
NRA Life; NAHC Life; Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ......glory .......lasts forever!