Remington Model 788

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Scorpion8

Remington Model 788

Post by Scorpion8 »

Just won one of these off GB. Always been a fan of Remington's older models, including what was my very first-ever 22LR which was a 581. I sold that many, many years ago, but managed to find a 582 (tube-fed) which I prefer. Anyway, the 788 should be a great rifle. I've heard these have trigger issues of bi-metallic corrosion building up. Truth? Possibilities to replace the trigger?

Any general comments on the 788-series?
NRA Life; NAHC Life; Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ......glory .......lasts forever!
Scorpion8

Re: Remington Model 788

Post by Scorpion8 »

Well the good news is that Brownells still has the .308-series magazines in stock at a reasonable price. No need to search far and wide yet.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

[quote="Scorpion8"]Well the [i]good[/i] news is that Brownells still has the .308-series magazines in stock at a reasonable price. No need to search far and wide yet.[/quote]

The 788 does not have the "feel" of many bolt action rifles, but I have yet to see one that did not shoot very well. I have owned several over the years and have not been unhappy with any of them.
Scorpion8

Post by Scorpion8 »

I hear the stock trigger is the weak link as it gums up easily. Any experience with the Timney replacement triggers?
dhenzler

Re: Remington Model 788 trigger

Post by dhenzler »

I published some photos of a trigger modification you can do. The original article http://24.172.105.90/z/541%20trigger/ including some photos. I did purchase a Timney trigger for my 223, but did this mod for a similar trigger mechanism. You can't loose if you're careful. Call me for details if you need help, or set screws...

Dave 252 648-0231