Model 14 with ammo - Didn't realize what I had.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
PastBlaster48

Model 14 with ammo - Didn't realize what I had.

Post by PastBlaster48 »

Newbie here. Please forgive my ignorance - I am not a collector or a guru, but would like help from one. :)

This rifle (and ammo) was given to me by my dad about 20 years ago - he said he had no use for it (he was mostly a bird hunter). I know he bought it from a friend who needed money, and never shot it (neither have I). It has been in my safe ever since. I really have no attachment to it either. Now I am moving and I want to limit my guns to just those I use. But when researching its value, I found this particular gun (and ammo) to be very sought after. I didn't realize that.

I was hoping your knowledge could help me verify what I have, and what it might value at. Here's what I've found through my own research....

The gun does not have a Model number stamped on it, but it is a Remington Model 14. It has a 18 1/2" barrel, which apparently makes it a more rare and valuable Model 14R.

It is a 30 Remington caliber.

The serial number 67XXX dates it to 1918-1919. The "C" above the serial number means it was a "Special" grade.

It has a "hidden thumbnail safety" on the bolt. It also has a "dummy" safety button on the trigger guard. Apparently these features were only made for two years 1918-1919, accounting for less than 2,000 of all model 14's produced. I read that these unique safeties might have been designed for prison guards (so inmates would have difficulty firing the gun if they got ahold of it). I think the thumbnail safety makes it even more valuable?

The butt stock is straight, with a metal butt plate stamped "Remington UMC" in a round logo.

Other features include a Lyman adjustable rear peep sight, a wheeled-adjustable rear sight, a brush guard at the end of the ammo tube, and a round, gold/brass insignia on the left side of the receiver that kind of looks like the end of a shell casing - says "REM-UMC 30 REM" on it). The end of the trigger assembly is also stamped "Remington UMC" in a round logo.

The gun has an attractive patina, with signs of use and minor scratches and dings. It functions very smooth. The bore is clean and the rifling well-defined. The bluing appears about 90% - no rust or pitting. None of the wood is split. The entire gun is very clean - I remember disassembling and completely cleaning it when I got it - a bugger to reassemble if I remember.

There are 13 full boxes of 30 Remington ammo. 8 boxes (green/white) are in Remington Kleanbore 170 grain soft point core-lokt, 4 boxes (green/yellow) are in 170 grain core-lokt soft point, and 1 box (yellow/red) is Western Super X Silvertip in 170 grain expanding. I understand original 30 Remington ammo is obsolete, so I assume this ammo is very valuable?

So am I missing anything? Guys, what value so you think this particular gun would bring?

nambujim

Re: Model 14 with ammo - Didn't realize what I had.

Post by nambujim »

What you have is indeed a Model 14R Carbine with a rare TNS (Thumbnail Safety) and a blank insert where the cross bolt safety would normally reside. This is one of the more common calibers for the 14R but this carbine appears to be all original including the wheel sight on the barrel but the front sight appears to be a replacement that doesn't lessen the value. The added bonus of a tang sight along with $650+ worth of ammunition makes it an exceptionally desirable piece.

The "C" designation over the serial has no meaning other than designating the size of the frame, all Model 14 & 14-1/2 rifles & carbines carried the "C" designation until the switched and put the serials on the side of the receiver along with the Model number. Your carbine also appears to be in really fine condition, they are in demand, this variation in even more demand, and in general we don't put values or provide appraisals on the site. Really good pictures, its a lovely and valuable Remington.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
nambujim@charlotte.twcbc.com
Jim Peterson
PastBlaster48

Post by PastBlaster48 »

Thanks Jim. After you mentioned the front sight I noticed some hard-to-read print on each side of the bead that that says SHEARD MARBLE. Good call. I'm not sure what the original front sight would look like? - almost all 14R's I've researched seem to have this front sight. I'm glad it's not a detriment to the gun.

Thanks also for clarifying the "C" designation. I had read some history that Remington made several grades of this gun - 14A Standard, 14C Special, 14D Peerless, 14F Premier, and 14R Carbine. So in my ignorance I just assumed this 18 1/2" barrel with C in the serial meant I had a Special grade Carbine. Lots to learn here.

BTW, am I correct to understand all these 14R's were tapped for the rear tang sight? If these TNS Carbines were in fact used for law enforcement at prisons like I've read, it would make sense that the gun came with the sight. Wondering if Remington put the sight on at the factory as an option?

The value of the ammo is blowing me away. After your comment I found some selling for $80 a box. Who knew! Not sure I could ask that much, as I was originally planning on just including it with the gun.

Again, thanks for the info. If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free. :)
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Actually the Marble-Sheard is a damn fine front sight and was an option.

Jim
Jim Peterson
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

The ammo will def go a long way towards selling the rifle. I had a chance at one of the Std Mdl 14s in 30 Rem for a great price, but passed. I wanted a rifle I could shoot a good bit and hunt with and nobody knew where to find any ammo.
t4halo

Post by t4halo »

Very nice Carbine. I'm very jealous.

T4
7th & 10th SF (retired)
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

If you wanted to part with a cpl boxes of the ammo separately, there is a guy looking for 30 Rem...

I am tempted to try and talk you out of a cpl boxes just in case I run into a 30 Rem...
Jake007

Post by Jake007 »

Just to the Ohio Gun Collectors this last Saturday and full boxes (condition less than yours) they were asking 90 bucks a box and would not move from that! Wow!
LeftyDon

Post by LeftyDon »

These guys had 30 REM in stock the last time I was there. Not the cheapest ammo when found.

http://www.ammo4guns.com/