Remington Mod 12 Question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Just22s

Remington Mod 12 Question

Post by Just22s »

I just bought a model 12 today. The serial number shows the gun is from 1912. What is unusual is the forend is a model 121 but looks factory. The barrel code shows 1931 and is 22 inches with the early Mod 12 rear site. The barrel roll mark is the same as the one used on my Model 121.
Is it possible this gun was shipped back to the factory for repairs and they didn't have any Model 12 foreends left and so it was modified?
nambujim

Re: Remington Mod 12 Question

Post by nambujim »

They didn't put barrel codes on the Model 12 until about 1921ish but if the code is followed by a "3" that meant it went back to the factory for repair and or replacement of parts. It's possible your Model 12 went back and had a fore end installed or some other repair but a replacement fore end could have been installed by the owner at any time, it isn't that difficult.

It's always best to include a picture along with a serial when asking for info, there are a lot of folks on the forum that know much more than I about the M12 and that info would go a long way in answering your questions.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
admin
Site Admin

Re: Remington Mod 12 Question

Post by admin »

I've seen numerous 12's with 121 "front-ends", I believe this was an "accepted" repair. I also believe there was a small amount of "mixed" 12/121's that came directly out of the factory. I know at least one member that has one, maybe he will comment :)