Rem. 141 date code question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
roscoe52

Rem. 141 date code question

Post by roscoe52 »

New member here. Just started collecting remingtons. The reason I have became interested is I acquired recently a as new (not re-finished) beautiful condition original 141 in .30 rem cal. and a mint condition model 121 .22 pump. The serial number on the 141 is in the 79xxx range and has a barrel code of what looks like YY which according to a website source would be 1952. I read that production stopped on the 141 in 1950 ?. very puzzled on this. Any help out there would be appreciated.
nambujim

Re: Rem. 141 date code question

Post by nambujim »

Tom Hemphill who maintains a data base for the 14/141 rifles shows a smattering of serials in the 79,000 range, the last being 79708 with a barrel code of DWW or September of 1950. There is no doubt Remington had some frames/parts left over and probably filled a few orders after serial 79708 and keep in mind the rifles were probably NOT produced in exact order of serial number.

For one reason or another a frame or trigger guard could have been rejected or set aside, then made right, and put back in inventory. I ask that you pass on the serial, barrel code, and caliber so we can add it to Tom's data base. In short, I have little doubt as to the validity of your rifle & the barrel code. It might well be the last or one of the last 141's produced, thanks for sharing your information and glad the rifle remains in original condition and not drilled or modified.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson