US Trials Rifle (maybe)

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
2verpsters

US Trials Rifle (maybe)

Post by 2verpsters »

Hi, new member here with a question for anyone with the knowledge. I have a small collection of Remington Model 8/81's. I have just picked up a Mod 8 in 25Rem that is set up very similar to the US Trials Rifle that Springfield Armory used for some sort of evaluation back in the early 20's. THe only info I have on these rifles is that in Henwoods book. Mine has everything mentioned minus the longer forend with the grasping groove and barrel band. Serial numbers are mismatched but very close together in the 45000 range. Lyman 48 is there, metal butt plate, inletted sling swivel, filled rear sight holes, target type front sight, everything is there but the forend. The gun came from CT where it has been thru 2 owners, so location is also correct in that sense. The forend is not a perfect match so it's conceivable that one of the owners replaced it with a normal Mod 8 piece for convenience sake?!? I am curious if anyone has a list of the serial numbers given to SA or any way to track down whether or not this rifle is a rareity or just another Mod 8 in 25Rem. It is not set up to be a fake as the price I paid for it was dirt cheap and the previous owner had owned it for over 20 years. Any info would be appreciated. I'll be glad to provide the serial numbers on the gun if that would help anyone in the search for info. Best regards, Pete.
rem141

Re: US Trials Rifle (maybe)

Post by rem141 »

Pete, I have a trials rifle and a list of about seven s/n of known ones that still exist. My rifle is pictured in the "Great 8 and 81 " book on page 116. What is the condition of your gun, they were used and abused, so a gun in great condition is suspect unless it was reworked. Yours seems to have all the features, except the forearm, that are known to differ from the standard rifle. If you want to talk, my phone is 717.867.2586, or email Kenblauch@aol.com
2verpsters

Post by 2verpsters »

Thanks for the reply, I sent you an email with some info and pics. Let me know what you think. I have a bunch of these old 8's and can take them apart and put them back together and make them work, but have just a general knowledge of their history.
rem141

Post by rem141 »

I compared your pictures to my gun and they matched except for the forend which you feel was replaced with a standard one. The serial numbers, both of them are in the range of the group of 25 guns that were selected by the army for the field trials in 1921.
2verpsters

Post by 2verpsters »

Thanks for the reply. I would like to think that I fell into one. I've contacted Springfield Armory to see if they can extract any info from their archives for me. I'd like to be able to verify it somehow. We'll see what they say.