Remington Model 14

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
ccic

Remington Model 14

Post by ccic »

So many calibers,so many moving parts,so many years,how can you tell which part is which and in what caliber ?
Books I guess...Thanks CCIC :?:
rem141

Re: Remington Model 14

Post by rem141 »

How about a picture, are you talking about a pile of misc. parts or a rifle that is disassembled?
rsmnewton

Post by rsmnewton »

I was hoping someone could help me identify a strange feature I saw on a model 14. First, the receiver had no markings at all. It did have the standard shell case on the left side that said .32 rem, but other than that, it had no sportsman 14 or 141 or remington or anything else. Second, the safety by the trigger is just a plug. The real safety was located on the bolt just forward of the bolt release button. It looks like a series of horizontal grooves that slide vertically on the bolt itself. When slid down, the safety is engaged and the word "safe" appears on the top of the grooves. When slid up, the word "safe" dissappears and the rifle is ready to fire. My father in law and I have all of the model 141 line in all calibers and all of the model 14 line except for the .25 REM and .32 REM. I am thinking of buying this rifle that I described, but I have never seen a safety on a model 14 like that. Was this a rare factory option or is this something that has been altered by someone?
ccic

Post by ccic »

rem141 wrote:How about a picture, are you talking about a pile of misc. parts or a rifle that is disassembled?
I am trying to fit a cartridge stop to work in a .32rem but I just can't get the things together...maybe they have to be custom fitted to the riffle...maybe I'm not doing the right thing....when you load the rifle,do you pump the action,then put a round in,close the action and then put a few rounds in the mag?
Thanks CCIC
rem141

Post by rem141 »

Do you have trouble putting in the cart stop or doesn't the gun feed when you have it together. If you have the original cart stop it should feed ok. They are not interchangeable, most gunsmiths have spares and find one that works. The 14, 141 and 14½ have different looking cart stops. Also some have a number stamped on to indicate size.
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

I don't have anything more to offer than REM141, but I do have one observation that has caused some problems for people working on the Model 14. When loading through the loading port, the first round will go into the area of the receiver, while the rest of the rounds will remain in the tube. At one time I had a friend that thought there ws a problem with the stop if the gun did that. You should be able to load the gun by opening the action and placing a round in the chamber or by putting the rounds in the tube and working the action to put a cartridge in the chamber. Like I said, not much help, but I wanted to make certain you got the observations.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

[quote="rsmnewton"]I was hoping someone could help me identify a strange feature I saw on a model 14. First, the receiver had no markings at all. It did have the standard shell case on the left side that said .32 rem, but other than that, it had no sportsman 14 or 141 or remington or anything else. Second, the safety by the trigger is just a plug. The real safety was located on the bolt just forward of the bolt release button. It looks like a series of horizontal grooves that slide vertically on the bolt itself. When slid down, the safety is engaged and the word "safe" appears on the top of the grooves. When slid up, the word "safe" dissappears and the rifle is ready to fire. My father in law and I have all of the model 141 line in all calibers and all of the model 14 line except for the .25 REM and .32 REM. I am thinking of buying this rifle that I described, but I have never seen a safety on a model 14 like that. Was this a rare factory option or is this something that has been altered by someone?[/quote]
You're talking about a thumbnail safety. They were used for a while. Some have both safeties. When I was a lid in Northern Michigan the thumbnail safeties were not very popular during deer season. It was about impossible to release the safety with warm gloves on. Most sane folks do not hunt in Michigan barehanded.
Noel

Post by Noel »

ccic,

Good to see you found this site!
As mentioned you will only be able to feed cartridges through the tube mag so they slide under the claws of the breech bolt correctly.
With the cartridge stop, we had to fit one in the 1912 25Rem I had sold to my BIL. We got one from Numrich and although it was quite different from the one in my 1913 25Rem it fed slick as a whistle.

Are you trying to fit the one from your 30Rem or did you manage to locate a stop from somewhere? If you have a different one, try testing the one from your other 14 in the rifle needing one. If that one works, hone the other one down to match it.

Had we not already pinned your gun down to first year of manufacture? I thought it was a four digit serial........

Noel
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

The first round into my Model 141 always goes back under the bolt and onto the lifter. Never had a problem, so I never thought this was wrong.
You may be trying to fix something that isn't broken.
ccic

Post by ccic »

Sorry for the late reply Noel.The thing is since the two rifles belonged to the same person and although they are of two different calibers,parts were interchanged by the owner.I had help from Tom identifying the parts of the .30 cal,a four digit ser#.and putting parts together was easy on the .30rem.The cartridge stops were missing in both rifles so I'll have to find one that fits .I was able to get three used ones from a friend but they don't seem to work.I'll try and order some new ones and work from there..

Thanks to all of you guys for the help.

CCIC
Noel

Post by Noel »

Both are AWOL! :( Bummer Man.

I guess we better start calling Numrich and keep bugging them until they make another batch. :wink: I don't know where else to try unless you buy one of those beater guns from J.P. in Quebec and then have yet another incomplete gun.... vicous circle.

Too bad we are so far away or I'd let you try mine.

Can you tell where it is hanging up or does it not stick out enough to catch the next round and hold it?

Noel
ccic

Post by ccic »

Noel wrote:Both are AWOL! :( Bummer Man.

I guess we better start calling Numrich and keep bugging them until they make another batch. :wink: I don't know where else to try unless you buy one of those beater guns from J.P. in Quebec and then have yet another incomplete gun.... vicous circle.

Too bad we are so far away or I'd let you try mine.

Can you tell where it is hanging up or does it not stick out enough to catch the next round and hold it?

Noel
Does not stick out enough to catch the next round and hold it i guess....but only two(2) cartridge stops away from two(2) very sought after Remington Pumps....Merry Christmass everybody ...from JP in Québec with lots of snow...
Noel

Post by Noel »

A very Merry Christmas to you too JP. :P
I'll watch for more stops but there aren't a whole lot of the 14's out here. Let me know if you find some.

Noel
Rickster

Post by Rickster »

Cartridge stops and some other parts are available here. http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/remington/pumpCF.html

They come a little oversized so that you can tweak them to fit your particular gun. I bought one from them, and got it to work ok in a 141. IIRC, I noticed that the steel was not as hard as a factory stop. But it is hard enough to last a long time for most people, or in my case, until it gets lost again.