Remington 341 Rifle

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
dick_tracy1953

Remington 341 Rifle

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

I am thinking about purchasing a Remington 341 rifle. There is no serial number. How can I tell what model it is e.g. A, P, or SB. It has the lyman rear peep along with a front bead atop a ghost ring base. Were the 341's factory drilled and tapped for the rear peep sight. How much is one in 96 percent condition worth. The factory original rear buckhorn sight is missing. Were the buckhorn sights a flip down/up style. Might they still be available.
Last edited by dick_tracy1953 on Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Gyde

M/341

Post by John Gyde »

Dick:

I'll try to respond to your questions...

Serial #? Look on the left side of the barrel just ahead of the fore-end. All Model 341s I have seen have a serial #.

Model? The P is stamped 341-P on the barrel. It is also tapped on the left side of the receiver for Remington's Point-Crometer peep sight and has no dovetail on the barrel for a rear sight. The Smooth Bore will be stamped for 22 shot cartridges.

Tapped for Lyman peep sight? No.

Rear Buckhorn Sight? A Buckhorn rear sight was not standard. The factory sight did not flip up or down.

Value? Hard to say. It sounds like the one you describe has had some alterations. The value is probably that of a shooter; maybe $125-$150...
dick_tracy1953

Further findings...

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

John... Thanks for you help.

I had the gunsmith remove the stock and locate the serial number: 07273. The barrel is only marked as Model 341. The rear sight is missing from the dovetail slot but the gunsmith thinks that they may have a correct original or replacement rear sight. There is however a Lyman receiver peep sight in place. I was not clear in your response if all of these receivers were pre-drilled and tapped to allow for a rear peep sight or if this was done as an aftermarket upgrade using a lyman sight instead of the Remington Point Crometer peep sight.

Presently I own in the Remington line a 541X . My other 22 rifles are a Mauser-Werke A.G. Oberndorf A.N ES340B target rifle, and a CZ 452-2E.

I want to get a Remington 341 in excellent plus condition but avoid a purchase if the receiver was not factory pre-drilled and tapped for the peep sight. Having a factory original peep sight does have an attraction.

The gunsmith has the rifle on consignment but with your coaching help is starting to see that it may be over priced.
John Gyde

M/341

Post by John Gyde »

The only M/341 that was tapped for a peep sight was the M/341P. They were stamped as such on the barrel. The one you describe has a rear sight dovetail, so is not a "P" and should not be drilled and tapped for a peep sight. I do have to admit that Remington would do most anything for a special order, but why would someone want a special order gun when a nearly identical one could be bought off the shelf?

Hope this helps.

John
dick_tracy1953

My exact thoughts...

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

John... Very helpful thanks! My exact thoughts about upgrading an existing rifle. It is best that I learn all that I can before making any purchase. I will hold out for an original Remington 341-P. The hunt has started.