721 722 725 dates of mfg

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

edited out
Last edited by Rem725 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

edited out
Last edited by Rem725 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
4-Speed

Post by 4-Speed »

Here's 721 serial number 4327XX. Built January 1960 and chambered .270 Win.

Lovingly updated. Lost whatever collector value but it's my rifle.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Thanks 4speed
Nice Transition 270. Is that stock changed? Floorplate and all?
CMP Pistol Distinguished
4-Speed

Post by 4-Speed »

Rem725 wrote:Thanks 4speed
Nice Transition 270. Is that stock changed? Floorplate and all?
Thank you Seven-Two-Five. That is the original stock with the lacquer removed, hand-checkered and an ebony grip cap added. The BDL bottom metal was a job. It's also been blueprinted and bedded.

I won the rifle playing poker in the bar of the Limpia Hotel in Fort Davis, Texas years ago and the original owner has been trying to buy it back ever since.
Chris L Oliver

Post by Chris L Oliver »

4 722s.

222 L YY 2/52 232***
222 RM K E 5/58 415***
244 P C 6/56 387***
244 R B 11/55 373***

Interestingly the 244 appear to have a 1 in 10" twist in spite of the early manufacture dates, Remington verified that these are a fast twist.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Thanks Chris L Oliver
You can verify your 244 twists by markings on a cleaning rod to tell one full revolution and the distance you push the rod in the barrel. Use a tight patch.
Please report back so maybe we might establish a change of twist approximate date. Anybody else with 244's please do same.

Your rifles are entered on our list
CMP Pistol Distinguished
Chris L Oliver

Post by Chris L Oliver »

I checked that way, I believe that they checked out to be 1 in 10". It is a little hard to tell if there is slipage but they rotated a little over two times around and since there is only about 22" of rifling, I believe that they must be 1 in 10". I will check again and see. I checked two other ways though. I emailed Remington with the serial numbers and they said that they were 1 in 10". They may have been guessing, I don't know. Also another member gunnut69 seemed to think that they were probably a fast twist. I'll check again and let you know if I get anything different.
Dave King

Post by Dave King »

I just picked up a Rem 722 today and have a few questions about it if anyone is so inclined.

Serial info:

722-300 PTT 344xx

This rifle has a trigger shoe other than what I've seen on other 722's. The trigger assembly appears to be the same as a basic 722 (the ones I've seen and compared) with a split sear and screws but the actual trigger is narrow but appears to be of stamped design, no ridges.

There is not a serial number visible on the external surface of the rifle, it appears to have been etched (?) on the left inside of the action in the lug rail. The serial number etched onto the bolt matches the action.

The machining on the bolt handle is a little different and visually somewhat rough as compared to other 722s I've handled and compared with this rifle. I didn't measure the width of the bolt handle at it's attachment to the bolt body but it appears somewhat narrow by comparison.

I was just about to scrap the rifle for the action on a custom rebuild but upon checking the barrel condition the rifling appears crisp, sharp and virtually new... I figured I'd scrap out a newer 700 in 300 Savage and keep this little rifle as a shooter.

I don't have the original stock but I do have it in a 722 stock (from other 722 scrap-out operations) (when I got this particular rifle SN344xx it had been sitting in a modified 700 BDL stock).

BTW, what is the first known manufacture date for these little 722s??

TIA

Dave King
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Dave king rifle added to our list as lowest serial number 722 reported.

If sn is "hand" etched in the inner rail where early numbers are found, that is a new thing to my knowledge. But being the lowest number so far with barrel date code for June 1948, who knows?

Dave, can you better describe or even post a picture of the serial number. Other pictures too.

BTW I just saw this "sticky" check box. Let's hope it works.
Last edited by Rem725 on Sat May 05, 2007 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
Dave King

Post by Dave King »

Rem725

Not a problem to post some pictures but I don't have macro capability.

Here are some pictures, best I could get here at home.

On the bolt handle there appears to be some rough manufacture marks, near the bolt knob there is what appears to be a hammer strike. at each bend (inside) corner there shows faint striation marks like milling/filing/shaping.

On the serial number (34413) the 1 is clear but a drag mark connects the top of the 1 to the bottom of the 3. The numbers are quite light but reflected well in this photo.

Notice the well defined milling of the receiver just above the serial number, many of the other 722's & 721's I've examined don't show this type of well defined corners milling technique.

The trigger shoe is plainly visible here also, I haven't seen this type on a 722/721. The trigger housing appears to be the same as the other 722 type triggers but the shoe itself is different.

I just examined the serial number closely using a jewelers loupe, the numbers are etched with some type of a rotary tool leaving readily apparent swirling tool marks. The is a clear "drop/anchor" point on each number (readily apparent on the bottom of the 4's in this photo) where the tool was landed before the drag/etch operation, the 1 clearly drags to the final 3 with little to no apparent "drop/anchor" point on the final 3.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Dave
Everything I can see in your pictures looks normal to me, except it has been drilled and tapped on top the rear receiver ring. Only the front ring was tapped originally on early 721 and 722's. The early triggers were plain like that. Narrow serrated followed, then wider serrated. I never looked hard at the few inside rail serial numbers I have seen. The could have used a rotary bit of some sort. I never thought about stamped numbers or anything. In his book Lacy says they were "stamped" inside the rail. The bolt looks normal too. According to the Lacy book Savages were distributed first in 5/48

Lacy states in his book (late 80's I believe):
"The lowest number 722 encountered by the author is number 34905 chambered for the 300 Savage cartridge." Lacy also says this 722 300S is serial numbered on the outside. Also from Lacy: "The highest inside number encountered by the author is 32498...."

And Lacy says "The roll marked number [outside] may have been implemented along with the introduction of the short action 722. If not, any 722 that features an internal serial number would likely be scarce."

You are fortunate to have such an early 722.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
Dave King

Post by Dave King »

Rem725

Thanks for looking and the info, I appreciate it.

This is definately the earliest 722 I've had and the little differences are interesting, most notably the trigger and serial number. It can't be seen well in these images but the trigger is not serrated.

I'm not a collector of any sort and as mentioned came across this rifle while looking for a donor action for a custom rebuild, the rifling looked so crisp to me and the gunsmith (about to strip it) that I decided to shoot it first as a possible hunting arm & conversation piece. I do happen to have a Remington 700 Classic in 300 Savage so perhaps I'll scrap the classic for it's action.
goordnance

Post by goordnance »

Dave,
REM725 is right, you've got a rare item there of special significance to those of us interested in the 721/2 rifles. Lacy would likely be interested to know about your rifle, please don't ever scrap that one out! The flat trigger on your rifle was the first type that seems to have been changed sometime prior to sn 100,000 but I havent pinpointed exactly where yet.

REM725 another for the list: 722 243 sn 4321xx PG Jun 60
ChuckD

721, 722, & 725

Post by ChuckD »

REM 725
I have been meaning to post these for some time, but just got around to looking up the data.

721 SN 4330x ETT 10/48 30-06
722 SN 35648x PA 6/54 222
725 SN 70390x PE 6/58

Chuck D.