721 722 725 dates of mfg

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Rem725

Re: 721 722 725 dates of mfg

Post by Rem725 »

rembo, thanks for your contribution.
I would like to see a close picture of your non-marked 270 barrel.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member
rembo

Post by rembo »

Rem725 wrote:rembo, thanks for your contribution.
I would like to see a close picture of your non-marked 270 barrel.
Here are some pics.... :D

dugby

Post by dugby »

I bought a 722 the other day in 222 remington, it is serial number 32008x. I have just had a little time to play with it. I took off the little cheap scope that was on it and put a 4 to 12 on it so that I could see how it might group.

The first 2 - 5 shot groups with the only factory ammo I could find, shot just under an inch at 100 yds.

As far as I can tell it is all original. Plain jane stock. Someone has glass bedded it. I was going to cut it into a 22-250 but I may buy some dies and see what a little load tailoring can do to make it shoot it's best as it is. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks
dugby

Post by dugby »

I am trying to understand the date codes described earlier. It looks like they blew off the codes on this rifle and just stamped the year 1951. Is that correct?
Attachments
IMG_3057_1_3.JPG
IMG_3057_1_3.JPG (149.95 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

I would expect 3208xx serial number to be right in the middle of these two
3194xx 722-257 P ZZ 6/53
3229xx 721B-06 O ZZ 7/53
with a year code ZZ being where the D is.

It is possible someone put in a "D" barrel after 1953. Or that action 32008x remained on the shelf until 1957 (D).

Does the barrel sight boss line up with the wood cutout in the stock?
Is the rear of the barrel breechface inside blued or bright?
Does the rear edge of the barrel right at the recoil lug look like it has been machined?
All this would indicate a replaced and setback to fit barrel.

Changing a 222 to 22-250 would require a boltface change.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
dugby

Post by dugby »

Does the barrel sight boss line up with the wood cutout in the stock?
Yes it does

Is the rear of the barrel breechface inside blued or bright?
Down inside the action the barrel faces are bright

Does the rear edge of the barrel right at the recoil lug look like it has been machined?
Not that I can tell

I took the sight off of the front of it and the bluing did not extend under there.

Do you think it is not the original barrel?
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

"Do you think it is not the original barrel?"

That is my guess. There does appear to be a slight gap at the recoil lug front.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
dugby

Post by dugby »

I will have a closer look at it and also put a feeler gauge to it. You know the length of the barrel seems a bit odd to me as well. Not really 24 or 26. more like 25 1/2.

I am hoping to give some reloads a try this afternoon to see how well they shoot.

Good Hornady bullets, sorted brass, benchrest primers and seated about .010" off the lands. Should see some improvements over the factory stuff I tried with it earlier. If it doesn't do better than 1/2 minute then I have an action to work with.

Reloading the 222 was somewhat different than anything else I have loaded before. That long neck is interesting. We will see.
CGR

Post by CGR »

Hello,

I aquired a 721 30-06 SPR last night, and was hoping to get a little bit of information on it. Based on what I have read here, I think it was made Feb 1948, but I am not sure. On the left side of the barrel, I read ULTT. The U is slightly offset though, and is in a larger, and different font. It has a 5 digit serial number. I can't remember it off the top of my head, but will post later with pictures when I get home from work. If I remember correctly it begins with 25xxx. Can you help with some history of this gun, and possibly a value. I know without seeing the condition it cannot be an accurate number, but maybe a ballpark figure. The few people that I have had look at it put it at between 90% and 95%(they are not experts though). It currently has a cheap import scope, so I am assuming at one point it may have been drilled and tapped (Have not had a chance to really look over this rifle very well). It also has a sling with mounts drilled into the stock. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks much!

Chris

EDIT: My camera seems to have a problem. I will get pics up as soon as I can get it fixed, or borrow one from someone. I did check the serial number though, It is 256XX. It is on the inside of the action, and on the bolt.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

256xx would be second on our page 1 list. Don't know about the U, but L TT would fit as Feb 48. Doubt it has any premium value over any good old 721. If it is nice and pretty much original that would help.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
karowj73

Post by karowj73 »

I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on a 722 that I have. A friend of my has been letting me borrow his 722 in .222 for plinking and varmint hunting for the past few years. I have been trying to buy it from him since I first saw it but I think he is waiting until I have something he wants so we can make a trade. In doing some research on the gun I have become stumped due to an inability to find anything comparable. The date code is XUU (December '49) and the serial number is 1006XX. What confuses me is the quality of the wood (Engraved bird's eye maple). Also, the gun is glass bedded which I am guessing was done after it left the factory (?). The Remington website lists a 722 D Peerless and a 722 F Premier that I have heard have fancy engraved wood but I am not sure which one it is (if either). I will include some pics and if anyone could identify the model suffix and give me some info on the production numbers and value I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for the help.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

karowj73 wrote:I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on a 722 that I have. A friend of my has been letting me borrow his 722 in .222 for plinking and varmint hunting for the past few years. I have been trying to buy it from him since I first saw it but I think he is waiting until I have something he wants so we can make a trade. In doing some research on the gun I have become stumped due to an inability to find anything comparable. The date code is XUU (December '49) and the serial number is 1006XX. What confuses me is the quality of the wood (Engraved bird's eye maple). Also, the gun is glass bedded which I am guessing was done after it left the factory (?). The Remington website lists a 722 D Peerless and a 722 F Premier that I have heard have fancy engraved wood but I am not sure which one it is (if either). I will include some pics and if anyone could identify the model suffix and give me some info on the production numbers and value I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for the help.
My opinion......

That's not a factory stock. Probably a Fajen or Bishop.....restocked back in the '60's or early '70's.....to me, the cheek piece and the type of wood gives it away......can't make out the grip cap, but that might be a clue, too. The fore-end also looks a little longer than "normal". Without knowing what the barrel length is, it's hard to tell if the barrel was cut (possibly tapered) and re-crowned or the front sight removed. Normal barrel length for that caliber/model was 24" or 26". This one looks shorter than those lengths (although that could be an illusion because of the longer fore-end).

Don't get me wrong......I think it's a nice looking gun.......just not "factory" from what I can tell from those pictures.

Den
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

I agree. Shortened barrel from 26" and restocked. Nicely done.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
karowj73

Post by karowj73 »

Thanks for the input. I will include some pics of the grip and butt caps to see if that sheds any more light. I measured the barrel and found out that it is only 22" which according to the Remington website was never released in .222 (makes me think also think that it is a custom). The barrel is crowned so someone knowledgeable must have done the work. If anyone can tell the maker of the stock from any of the attributes please let me know. Also if anyone has any idea of the value I would really appreciate the input. On a side note I figured I would add how amazed I am with this rifle's accuracy. With 40gr CT Ballistic tip reloads it shoots 1/2 moa all day long and if the variables are all perfect it has been know to shoot jagged one hole groups :) Thanks again for all of the help.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

The grip cap and butt plate are definitely not Remington.
I still lean toward the probability that it's either a Fajen or Bishop as they were the most common stock suppliers of that era.
I have some old Fajen, Bishop and Richard's Microfit catalogs in my archives, but they're not readily available and I'm not going to spend any time searching for them because it wouldn't necessarily be worthwhile.
I've done a little searching and came up with some websites for you to look at for comparison purposes. I believe Fajen was bought up by Battenfield Technologies some years ago.....and I believe they're a subsidiary of Midway USA......but they don't appear to have nearly the extensive line of stocks that they did years ago.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/oldclassic.htm

http://www.gunstocks.com/Stockstyles.html

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/fajen/

Den