what does the letter in front of the serial number mean

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
abuell

what does the letter in front of the serial number mean

Post by abuell »

what does the letter in front of the serial number on a reminton 700 bdl mean. i have a friend that has an engraved bdl and it has a letter E in front and a custom deluxe with a letter C in front of the serial number. i was wondering what the letter A is for.
Wulfman

Re: what does the letter in front of the serial number mean

Post by Wulfman »

abuell wrote:what does the letter in front of the serial number on a reminton 700 bdl mean. i have a friend that has an engraved bdl and it has a letter E in front and a custom deluxe with a letter C in front of the serial number. i was wondering what the letter A is for.
It means it was built in the mid - late 1970s. I have two Remington 700s and a Mohawk 600 with that prefix. I also have two 700s with the "C" prefix that were built in the late 1980s. I believe the "B" prefix was used in the earlier 1980s.
If you check the barrel date codes, that will tell you when it was built.

Den
abuell

Post by abuell »

the barrle has EI which would be mar. 1988
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

abuell wrote:the barrle has EI which would be mar. 1988
More likely Mar. 1976.
Check the chart again. ;)

Also, there were other differences in the guns between those years which will give clues to their "generation".

Den
abuell

Post by abuell »

what differences? the reason i'm interested is because i just bought the gun and the guy told me he bought it brand new 2 years ago and ony shot it 8 times to sight the scope in. the gun is in perfect condition, not one scratch or ding in the stock it looks like it was taken off the shelf and put in a gun safe
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

abuell wrote:what differences? the reason i'm interested is because i just bought the gun and the guy told me he bought it brand new 2 years ago and ony shot it 8 times to sight the scope in. the gun is in perfect condition, not one scratch or ding in the stock it looks like it was taken off the shelf and put in a gun safe
Assuming it's a BDL (hinged floorplate, black fore-end tip and grip cap), in 1976 it would have had straight-line cut checkering. In the late '80's it would have had skip-line cut checkering. Also, in 1988, it would have had a safety that allowed opening the bolt with the safety ON (as my 1988 700 Classic .35 Whelen does)......whereas that feature was not available in 1976.

Den