New bolt action rifle project, need some advice!

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
berto255

New bolt action rifle project, need some advice!

Post by berto255 »

First of all I won’t claim that I'm a sniper, marksman or sharpshooter, just another gun lover with an itch for a new rifle. I really need you guys input in this one because this is my new project and is going to take me some time to get it complete. Put aside likes or dislikes, price or reputation. I would really like a hones opinion and prefer the ones from people who owns both of the rifle brands. I'm not sure if I ever going to shoot pass 500 yards or hunt. I'm only limit to the conditions of my terrain and here in South Florida I don't have too many 500+ shooting ranges. My primary use will be bench rest shooting/plinking. Start with factory ammo and maybe get into reloading pretty soon.

Remington 700P (short action)
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm
308win - 26" BARREL - 1/12" RIFLING - 9 LBS - $1000 msrp

Remington 700LTR
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm
308win - 20" BARREL - 1/12" RIFLING - +/-$750 msrp

Thank you and please let me know what do you guys think
nambujim

Re: New bolt action rifle project, need some advice!

Post by nambujim »

Berto!

My background is that of a "competition" small bore rifle and high power rifle
shooter..........not bench rest. That being said I have acquired/used a number of high quality bolt guns over the years. My favorite Remington in this type of weapon was a 40XBR with a 2oz. factory trigger mounting a Unertl BV20 scope, the caliber doesn't matter much.

My personal opinion is that either one of those guns will easily fire less than MOA at 100, 200, or 300 yards from a "basic" bench rest stand. If you are going to use factory ammunition and want accuracy then be sure you buy a "Match" grade product. You might even be lucky enough to find some military white box ammunition at gun shows at a reasonable price.

If you are not going to reload then you are going to pay dearly for factory match grade ammunition. If you want accuracy I will tell you what we used
in competition, 42 grains of 4895 with a Sierra 168 gr International bullet. You might need to adjust your load +/- .02 grains but I have given you a really good starting point but you will get all sorts of other opinions.

I was still using a 30-06 when I "retired" from competition and used 45 grains of 4895 with "pulled" 172 grain military match bullets (from white box ammo).
This load/bullet fired a 20 shot group at 300 yards from the prone position with Iron Sights that measured slightly less that 2.5".

Either of those guns will shoot quality "match grade" ammunition better than you or I are capable of holding. I would forget about that 500 yard thing, I am told that few real hunting shots are taken at that distance. Both the .308 and 30-06 were used for countless years for the National Match Course in which the Prone Slow Fire leg was 20 Rounds at 600 yards with Iron Sights.

You asked for guidance, I have given my "opinion", either gun should give you years of good shooting. OH! Don't overspend on a scope, BSA makes some good quality stuff at reasonable prices and if you "bash" it while hunting you are not going to be out a lot. Leupold is a great high quality product but a BSA costing 25% of the price will do the job nicely, you can upgrade later if you so desire!

Regards!
Jim Peterson
butch lambert

Re: New bolt action rifle project, need some advice!

Post by butch lambert »

If you are going to hunt, limit yourself to 300yds for humane kills. For longer range target shooting, I would get the longer barrel.
Butch