720 Stocks?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Recoil Rob

720 Stocks?

Post by Recoil Rob »

Just got a 720 at auction and the stock has been refinished. Does anyone know if stocks were numbered to the gun and how they differed from the late M30 stocks? Pictures of originals would be appreciated.

Did Remington ever arrive at the number of 720's actually assembled?

thanks,

Rob
chopper007

Re: 720 Stocks?

Post by chopper007 »

The 720 is a pretty rare gun.As far as I know the Model 720 stocks are compatible with the Model 30's.The original repair manuals are the same.There's (or was) a couple manuals for sale on E-bay.
Recoil Rob

Post by Recoil Rob »

I believe the 720 & M30 actions and stocks are interchangeable, but the 720 stock certainly was redesigned and is more "sporting" than the M30 stock. Would still like to see some photos of an original 720 stock.

thanks, Rob
bverboy

Post by bverboy »

the stocks were numbered to the gun.
chopper007

Post by chopper007 »

They are the same.I would like to have a 720 stock for my Model 30,like you said, they are a little more "sporty".My M30 looks more like a military rifle than a hunting rifle.
chopper007

Post by chopper007 »

2,427 were manufactured between 1941-1944.They were chambered in .257 Remington-Roberts,.270 Winchester and .30-06.That's a pretty rare find,not to many around anymore.The M30 and the M720 actions will fit each others stocks.
tsmgguy

Post by tsmgguy »

Old topic, I know, but I have a Model 720, unused, with the original box and everything that came with it, including the sling and pamphlets. This rifle has the Ordnance wheel and FJA stock stamps, but has never had the magazine floor plate engraved, nor had an award plaque affixed to the stock.

The 2,427 number for total Model 720 production probably came from this NRA Museum entry:

http://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-galle ... rifle.aspx

My rifle is sn. 42484, which is above the serial number range listed. Also, the barrel codes date it to August, 1942. I believe the NRA's information to be inaccurate.

I have read elsewhere that the stock is serial numbered to the gun, but have never removed the action from the stock to check. The serial number is roll marked on the bolt, not electro penned.
iskra1

Post by iskra1 »

I've just noted in the Preview that I have a double post going here. But not showing in the edit section at all! So just to leave it. Happened when I added a pic of one of my 720 models. So anyway, have a double and... on me!
First thanks for some good information concerning the interchangeability of Model 30 &amp; 720 stocks.  Murphy's law would dictate otherwise!  I may now review my guns below for 'upgrades'  <br />I have three Model 720 rifles. All in 30-06.  Serials are 403xx, 404xx &amp; 405xx.  None original. All with scope holes atop receivers and otherwise averaging 'maybe' 80% overall.  Showing about normal field use for their age.  None look handsome!  I wouldn't ordinarily consider these 'collector grade' but due to rarity ,perhaps some residual interest. I had the idea of making a nice sporter from one and maybe in a long Mag configuration. But ways lead to ways… Also the reality of the labor costs today.  I could buy a new Win or Rem cheaper!  My highest investment was $320 with the other two a bit less. Those eighties era prices, but I’m still not hurt. <br />I've seen others occasionally advertised and some pristine, but almost all the Navy award guns.  I do believe most 720 rifles in pre government sales were in the forty thousand serial range.  <br />If anyone has done a serial number survey/study, I'd be interested in participating/the results.<br />As an afterthought to this free rambling, I do have a couple of original Model 720 sales brochures I picked up off eBay.  That also was years ago and of course nowadays particularly, most any such would be ‘suspect’ as a forgery!  Same old crooks meet new technology!  <br />Well, again thanks for the Thread contributors’ info and otherwise…<br />Just my take
First thanks for some good information concerning the interchangeability of Model 30 & 720 stocks. Murphy's law would dictate otherwise! I may now review my guns below for 'upgrades'
I have three Model 720 rifles. All in 30-06. Serials are 403xx, 404xx & 405xx. None original. All with scope holes atop receivers and otherwise averaging 'maybe' 80% overall. Showing about normal field use for their age. None look handsome! I wouldn't ordinarily consider these 'collector grade' but due to rarity ,perhaps some residual interest. I had the idea of making a nice sporter from one and maybe in a long Mag configuration. But ways lead to ways… Also the reality of the labor costs today. I could buy a new Win or Rem cheaper! My highest investment was $320 with the other two a bit less. Those eighties era prices, but I’m still not hurt.
I've seen others occasionally advertised and some pristine, but almost all the Navy award guns. I do believe most 720 rifles in pre government sales were in the forty thousand serial range.
If anyone has done a serial number survey/study, I'd be interested in participating/the results.
As an afterthought to this free rambling, I do have a couple of original Model 720 sales brochures I picked up off eBay. That also was years ago and of course nowadays particularly, most any such would be ‘suspect’ as a forgery! Same old crooks meet new technology!
Well, again thanks for the Thread contributors’ info and otherwise…
Just my take
R53-2U.jpg (42.7 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
First thanks for some good information concerning the interchangeability of Model 30 & 720 stocks. Murphy's law would have suggested otherwise! I may review my guns below for 'upgrades'
I have three Model 720 rifles. All in 30-06. Serials are 403xx, 404xx & 405xx. None original. All with scope holes atop receivers and otherwise averaging 'maybe' 80% overall. None look handsome! I wouldn't ordinarily consider these 'collector grade' but due to rarity ,perhaps some residual interest. I kind of had the idea of making a nice sporter from one. But then my highest investment was $320 with the other two a bit less yet those eighties era prices. I've seen others occasionally advertised and some pristine, but almost all the Navy award guns. I do believe most others in pre government sales were in the forty thousand serial range.
If anyone has done a serial number study/survey, I'd be interested in getting the result and would gladly participate.
Best!
Recoil Rob

Post by Recoil Rob »

I may be mistaken, and I'm sure if I am someone will chime in to correct me, but I was the impression all 720 were drilled and tapped for scope mounts.
iskra1

Post by iskra1 »

First of all, an apology for the somewhat confusing double posting. I realized it before I did the final 'click' to post. Just by then very frustrated about inability to correct it editorially and also a comedy of errors in trying to post multiple photos! I was by then tired, grumpy and needed a generous glass of Cabernet or more! That said...

Even if it was so that the 720 was factory drilled & tapped, my three would still be a motley crew! All with top mount holes, yet each of them reflect differing patterns!

I'm still dwelling on the fact that from the sound of it, the Model 30 and 720 stocks accommodated 'drop in' swapping. IF SO, how to determine whether a stock on any 720 is original and correct? You'll note among my three the stock checkering situation differs. I never considered perhaps one or more is wearing a Model 30 stock, or (highly unlikely) vise-versa! All very informative but raising further questions and "originality" issues. Not with mine, but in general.

I need to get something off my chest concerning the 720. It's in the category of: 'What in the world were they thinking?' This allegedly 'improved [Model 30] successor, utilizes an screw to secure the floorplate. Excuse me but of all the un-esthetic (is that a word!), clumsy methods. The Model 1917/Model 30 design used only any pointed object of reasonable strength, such as bullet tip as removal tool! With the 720, dropping cartridges out was just as easy as hauling a screwdriver into the field! Seems at least they could have made a butt trap with the screwdriver included there! :) Humor aside... What were they thinking?

And now, if you'll kindly fasten your seat belts, I'm going to try to post a few 720 photos; such of my other rifles.

/// Postscript: Just "uploaded" six photos, but only see three in "preview"! Maybe others will show in the final Post format or are in 'pix' heaven! Any within the three are my other two 720 rifles and one action D&T view.

The posting 'conundrum' continues - just different!
Attachments
R139-2.jpg
R139-2.jpg (44.65 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
R384-8U.jpg
R384-8U.jpg (37.56 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
R384-2.jpg
R384-2.jpg (47.45 KiB) Viewed 3674 times