Model 600 Mohawk

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Milo

Model 600 Mohawk

Post by Milo »

OK - OK.......... I admit I am flummoxed by the dating system that Remington uses. Forgive me as I am a new owner and new to this site. I recently purchased the above rifle for $350 (which included a cheap 4X scope and a leather sling, along with about 3o rounds of factory ammo). The rifle is in excellent condition with the exception of most of the bluing is gone from the bolt and I believe the stock may have been refinished as it is dull as though rubbed with linseed oil. The bore is excellent and it is a good shooter. The barrel stamping is as follows: FYXX3M (a symbol that looks like a small mountain) o L V.
I cannot match this up with anything that makes sense to me. The numbers on the receiver are 17,255. Could one of you help the new guy decipher this?
Thanks in advance.......
600RemGuy

Re: Model 600 Mohawk

Post by 600RemGuy »

There is a lot of confusion with these little rifles. I'm not saying your wrong by any means. I'm just looking for more information. Is this a "Mohawk 600" or a "600 Carbine"? Does it have a nylon rib? What caliber? Barrel length? Pictures of the symbols might help. Are all the symbols you stated on the same side of the barrel? If not, please state the side that certain symbols appear. 17 XXX is the serial number.
Milo

Post by Milo »

Remguy....
Thanks for the answer - I think!? The seller told me it was a Mohawk - but nowhere on the rifle does it say that. The receiver is marked Remington Model 600 with the serial #17,XXX. The left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver has the letter stampings as listed in my first post. The right side of the barrel near the receiver has three stamps: closest to the receiver is ' G)' (only the G is sideways and the ) is more like a sideways V). The next stamping is what appears to be REP inside of an oval. The last stamping looks like and upside down heart. The barrel is 18.5" long with a nylon rib. The caliber is .308 Win.
On the left side of the barrel I believe the first marking is for magnaflux; the second marking I believe is a proof mark and the last mark (upside down heart) is a test mark. I just cannot figure out the date of manufacture....

P.S. The trigger assemble has been replaced (or repaired) as evidenced by the 'V' stamped on the left side of the trigger.

Thanks again - M
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

You have a first year 600 carbine.

FYXX3M ("symbol") o L V

In my mind this should be how it plays out.

FY is weird and not known to me-may mean recall ?
XX is likely the date the trigger was repaired/replace under the recall Dec., 1973
3 and M are repair stampings likely due to recall
"symbol" is Final inspector at time of assembly
OL is for date of manufacture being July 1964
V is the assembler.

Your serial number seems about right for a mid-year 64 rifle.

One of my 600s has the "V" trigger. I'll dig it out soon and see if I have similar symbols
remington600

Post by remington600 »

The V was a stamp Remington put on the trigger just to verify the recall was performed. It didn't matter what year. Some of them just have a punch mark or dot.
The 308 is the most common with 33028 made, but you did better getting a 600 carbine then a Mohawk. There a little more collectible. The 600 308 was actually introduced in 1963. One year before all the rest.

Billy Smith
Director
Remington Society of America
Milo

Post by Milo »

Thanks........... you guys are great!! Any idea on the current retail value? I would put it in 90% condition. M
remington600

Post by remington600 »

With the way you described in your first post, and sight unseen I would say $350-$400.