Model 81 date of manufacture

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Rob M

Model 81 date of manufacture

Post by Rob M »

I recently purchased a woodmaster model 81 in 300 savage. I read in an old guntraders guide that they were made from 1935 to 1950. Can you give me an exact date of manufacture???? the serial # 21646 and there is xxx on the left side of the barrel shroud. what value would you put this gun in 90% condition. Thank you for your help.
Walt Shipman

Rem 81 date shipped

Post by Walt Shipman »

I'm no expert, but here is what John Henwood's seminal treatise "The Great Remington 8 and Model 81 Autoloading Rifles" says. You rifle was one of 115 shipped from the factory during 1944. Only 4 rifles were shipped from the factory in 1943. Please recheck the production code on the side of the barrel. Are you sure the letters are XXX? Could they be XMM or XNN instead? XMM would be December 1943 and XNN would be December 1944. XXX would be December 1951, which doesn't seem to jive with the serial number and the shipping date. Is there a 3 after the letters? 3 represents a date the gun underwent a factory repair.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Thank you for the reply. it is xxx 3 the 3 is just slightly lower than the xxx. does this mean it went in for repair in 1951?????? what would the value for it be in 90% . I have always liked these old guns and this is the first one that I have been able to afford. Thanks Robbie
Walt Shipman

Rem 81 date

Post by Walt Shipman »

There should be another production code right there near the XXX3. It may be partially covered up by the wood of the forearm. In my mind, your gun was probably made in 1943 or 44, so the XXX3 is a December 1951 factory repair. Value for Remington Autoloaders is influenced by what part of the country you reside in. I know in places like Maine, Minnesota and Wisconsin, and in the Pacific Northwest, these guns are more common and they are still used for hunting and are pretty well thought of. Prices in those areas may be a little higher. Here in West Texas, they are rare, but also they are not very highly thought of. So the ones you do find are more reasonably priced. I would say you gun would bring $300 to $375 around these parts.
remeye

xxx3 Production Code Model 81

Post by remeye »

This is an interesting serial number (WW2 production), if the production code is consistent. Is the safety lever attached with a screw? REMEYE