12 gauge side by side shotgun

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
allana.winter

12 gauge side by side shotgun

Post by allana.winter »

I inherited a gun from great grandfather. It is 12 gauge side by side shotgun with fine engraving on the barrel. The barrels are 32 inches in lenth. There is a # on the inside of the gun in several differnt places that all match that # begins 92,XXX and there is a 3 that is by itself. Gun is in great shape. I was just wondering if it was a collectiable? or worth anything?
Researcher

Re: 12 gauge side by side shotgun

Post by Researcher »

From your brief description it sounds like you have a Grade 3 Model 1889 made in 1899. The grades 1, 2 and 3 were all basically the same plain gun, just with different barrel material -- Grade 1 decarbonized steel, Grade 2 twist, and Grade 3 Damascus. What you describe as "engraving" is the pattern of the Damascus barrels.

Condition and originality is everything in these old doubles. We'd need several good pictures to even come close in a value, but usually the grades 1, 2, and 3 are anywhere from a couple hundred to about a grand. This one has been sitting at this price at the Cabelas about five miles from me for about a year now --

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Reming ... =100147235