Rem Model 11 Mfg Dates???

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Steamer

Re: Rem Model 11 Mfg Dates???

Post by Steamer »

I have a model 11 s/n 21086 on the bottom. On the barrel the number is 21087. Is there any significance to that? I am assuming that this gun is 1906 vintage.
ArmedCMT

Post by ArmedCMT »

Researcher wrote: For the guns made after 1921, you can look for a two- or three-letter date code on the left side of the barrel, usually between the front edge of the receiver and the choke marking. Also probably an inspector's mark or two in that area.

Remington Arms Co. introduced their 12-gauge, five-shot, John M. Browning designed, "Remington Autoloading Gun" in 1905. The company name was changed to Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. in 1911. Shortly after that Rem-UMC began calling that gun the Model No. 11. In 1920 the company name changed again to Remington Arms Co., Inc. Circa 1927/8 they changed the safety from the lever inside the trigger guard to a crossbolt behind the trigger. In 1930, they introduced the 20-gauge Model 11. Model 11 20-gauge serial numbers began at 1,000,000. In 1931, they added the 16-gauge to the line with 16-gauge serial numbers starting at 1,500,000. In 1930, they also introduced a three-shot version in 20-gauge called "The Sportsman." The 20-gauge “The Sportsman” had serial numbers beginning low 1? Maybe 1000? They added 12- and 16-gauge "The Sportsman" in 1931, with 12-gauge "The Sportsman" having serial numbers starting at 500,000 and 16-gauges having serial numbers starting at 200,000. "The Sportsman" had a three-bird roll-stamping on each side of the receiver. In 1934 DuPont acquired controlling interest of Remington Arms Co., Inc. In 1937, Remington reduced the roll-stamping on "The Sportsman" to one bird on each side and started putting the roll-stamping on Model 11 receivers as well. At the same time, the name "The Sportsman" or "Model 11" began being stamped on the bolt. On Sep. 28, 1937, they stopped the separate serial number sequence in the 2xx,xxx range for the 16-gauge "The Sportsman"; on Aug. 24, 1937, they stopped the separate serial number sequence in the 5xx,xxx range for the 12-gauges and finally on Feb. 14, 1938, they ended the separate serial numbers for the 20-gauge “The Sportsman” at 16,753. From then on the "Model 11" and "The Sportsman" were serial numbered together, continuing the Model 11 sequences. Combined 12-gauge "Model 11" and "The Sportsman" serial numbers reached 499,999 on August 1, 1943. Serial numbers were then jumped to 700,000 and continued.
Hi everyone
I have a Remington model 11 in 20ga and I could use some insight on its age. Ive done a bit of research and according to the barrel marks (ATT)it was made in March of 1948 but when I called Remington they gave me a different date. Based off the serial number on the receiver the nice lady at Remington told me the gun was made in 1973. When I gave her the barrel marking info she said that it was probably made in 1970 but could not explain the extra “T”. The info in Researcher’s post give me hope that my shotgun is all original and manufactured in ’48 and any insight will be greatly appreciated.
The barrel has marking indicating it is a modified choke and was manufactured in March of 1948. Underneath the barrel near the ring that goes around the magazine there are some additional markings including the last five digits in the s/n that are on the receiver. So, Remington Society, what say you?

patton610

Post by patton610 »

having similar trouble with a 16 ga sportsman model .... as near as I can tell its one of the later ones with the sportsman on the bolt, but the receiver is numbered 1556485with no S. The barrel is another story. It is a full choke with what appears to be OR, OB, or OP between the ga designation and the choke type. it is numbered S 2.......... I forget the rest of the numbers and dont want to disassemble it right now. the barrel serial was stamped on base of the alignment/ mounting ring. I want to take this gun dove hunting relatively soon. Aside from the odd serial numbers which I could not locate in the guide book on the website, can I replace the barrel with a adjustable choke model? are there any parts that work on the A5/11 that will not fit the sportsman? I am taking it to a local smith soon for a health check and would like to acquire any parts and just have him swap them out as long as he has the entire thing apart. Thank you in advance.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ArmedCMT wrote: Hi everyone
I have a Remington model 11 in 20ga and I could use some insight on its age. Ive done a bit of research and according to the barrel marks (ATT)it was made in March of 1948 but when I called Remington they gave me a different date. Based off the serial number on the receiver the nice lady at Remington told me the gun was made in 1973. When I gave her the barrel marking info she said that it was probably made in 1970 but could not explain the extra “T”. The info in Researcher’s post give me hope that my shotgun is all original and manufactured in ’48 and any insight will be greatly appreciated.
The barrel has marking indicating it is a modified choke and was manufactured in March of 1948. Underneath the barrel near the ring that goes around the magazine there are some additional markings including the last five digits in the s/n that are on the receiver. So, Remington Society, what say you?
I know little about model 11's but I do know they STOPPED making them in the late 40's...
I don't debate Researcher.
Jakesims

Post by Jakesims »

I also have a 20 gauge sportsman that from my research can best determine it to be between 1930 and 37. I would like some info on this so I can get it back in good condition. The serial number is 7641. It has three birds on both sides the middle bird on the right side is on the ground. Having problems with the recover cycling and jamming.
cwtretrievers

Post by cwtretrievers »

I just acquired a 20 gauge model 11 ser# S 5082. As with many others i'm struggling with date of manufacture... Date code shows to be October 1934???(EC) Mine has the three ducks on left side and 3 pheasants on right. Being i haven't seen or heard of many like this i was wondering if anyone had info on value?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I just acquired a 20 gauge model 11 ser# S 5082.
You don't have a Model 11, you have a "Sportsman", the three-shot version. Unfortunately the first page for 20-gauge the "Sportsman" serial numbers is missing from the old "between the Wars" Remington factory ledger. The second page that is there starts with March 1, 1937, at serial number S 14199 (actually it is 14??9) and ends February 14, 1938, at serial number S 16753. For 16-gauge "Sportsmen" production reached 5000 by October 1935, so I'd guess your October 1934 barrel date code on your gun is pretty close.

Remington Autoloader History

Remington Arms Co. introduced their 12-gauge, five-shot, John M. Browning designed, "Remington Autoloading Gun" in 1905.

The company name was changed to Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. in 1911. Shortly after that Rem-UMC began calling that gun the Model No. 11.

In 1920 the company name changed again to Remington Arms Co., Inc. Circa 1927/8 they changed the safety from the lever inside the trigger guard to a crossbolt behind the trigger. In 1930, they introduced the 20-gauge Model 11. Model 11 20-gauge serial numbers began at 1,000,000. In 1931, they added the 16-gauge to the line with 16-gauge serial numbers starting at 1,500,000. In 1930, they also introduced a three-shot version in 20-gauge called "The Sportsman."

The 20-gauge “The Sportsman” had serial numbers beginning low S1? Maybe S1000? They added 12- and 16-gauge "The Sportsman" in 1931, with 12-gauge "The Sportsman" having serial numbers starting at S500,000 and 16-gauges having serial numbers starting at S200,000. "The Sportsman" had a three-bird roll-stamping on each side of the receiver.

In 1934 DuPont acquired controlling interest of Remington Arms Co., Inc. In 1937, Remington reduced the roll-stamping on "The Sportsman" to one bird on each side and started putting the roll-stamping on Model 11 receivers as well. At the same time, the name "The Sportsman" or "Model 11" began being stamped on the bolt.

On Sep. 28, 1937, they stopped the separate serial number sequence in the 2xx,xxx range for the 16-gauge "The Sportsman"; on Aug. 24, 1937, they stopped the separate serial number sequence in the 5xx,xxx range for the 12-gauges and finally on Feb. 14, 1938, they ended the separate serial numbers for the 20-gauge “The Sportsman” at 16,753. From then on the "Model 11" and "The Sportsman" were serial numbered together, continuing the Model 11 sequences. Combined 12-gauge "Model 11" and "The Sportsman" serial numbers reached 499,999 on August 1, 1943. Serial numbers were then jumped to 700,000 and continued.

From what I see in the pawn shops in my area, there is not much demand for the standard grades of these old square-back Remington autoloaders. I see guys at gun shows asking four and five hundred dollars for them but around $200 is the average pawn shop price.
cwtretrievers

Post by cwtretrievers »

Thanks For the Info!!!!
I am a Remington man through and through and think this is a really neat gun to have even if the value isn't that great!
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I am a Remington man through and through and think this is a really neat gun to have
Right on!! I have every bit as much fun, maybe more, with my set of "The Sportsman" guns that I assembled for pocket change over $600 as I do with five figure guns --

My 16-gauge, "The Sportsman" with 26-inch, solid rib, improved cylinder, barrel is the only gun I've ever gotten a triple on Pheasants with --

In that I normally hunt with a side-by-side double, it is amazing that just the right situation presented itself on a day I was carrying "The Sportsman".