Autoloading Gun, Pre-Model 11 identification & date

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Aimin 41

Autoloading Gun, Pre-Model 11 identification & date

Post by Aimin 41 »

Hello, First time on the RAS Forum. I have what is obviously a JMB designed, A-5 style, semi-auto, 12 Ga shotgun. It has two barrels, 28" Full choke & 26" Cylinder bore, both serial numbered to the receiver. It appears to be a Standard Grade weapon. The receiver has NO markings on it, other than the serial number of 55155. This shotgun has an even-ish graying patina, with some light rust here and there and the wood appears to be original. It appear to be a well used, well cared for shotgun. From what I've read, there should be something on the left side of the receiver. There is nothing. Both barrels bear the same 2 line Remington address, with the last patent date being June of 03 (1903). On the bottom of the Full choke barrel is 'A 4'. On the bottom of the Cylinder bore barrel is 'D 1'.
My questions are: When was this shotgun made ?
Why does the receiver not bear any identification markings (other than the serial number) ?
Were the barrels made at different times / years ?
Is there a excellent / good / decent source for information (ie: book) on this period of Remington firearms ?
Thank you in advance for your time and efforts.
Researcher

Re: Autoloading Gun, Pre-Model 11 identification & date

Post by Researcher »

Best estimates would put your Remington Autoloading Shotgun to be of 1908 vintage. 1906 catalogue --

1910 catalogue --

Aimin 41

Post by Aimin 41 »

Thanks you Researcher. The info was of great help.

When you say "Best estimate…" on the manufacture date, Is that because there is no definite production tables to with ?

Where did you get those ad/catalog photos ? Are they available somewhere ?

A Lady brought me this shotgun and a Winchester Model 1906 .22 Short to put in a shadow box for her spouse. The 1906 was made the second month of that model's production. I think it would be great to get a copy of those photos for the shadow box.

Thanks again,
Sean
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

When you say "Best estimate…" on the manufacture date, Is that because there is no definite production tables to with ?
That info came from James Tipton's article on the Model 11 in the Remington Society of America Journal, 2nd Quarter 2000. Since his serial number chronology tables for that article were produced, the old "between the Wars" factory ledger has become available which starts in September 1919, and James' chronology doesn't jibe with the ledger. Also, he didn't realize that in the 1937-8 time frame Remington Arms Co., Inc. quit the seperate serial number ranges for the 3-shot "Sportsman" and began numbering them right along with the 5-shot Model 11s. But, prior to 1919, James' chronology is what we have.

Being an "information junkie", I have a large collection of old gun catalogues, and that is where those pictures come from. You can save them out and print them off the best you can, but I have no capability to do any more than what you've seen.