1912 model 11 - hard to pull operating slide open

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Ferglaw

1912 model 11 - hard to pull operating slide open

Post by Ferglaw »

New member here.

My older brother gave me the shotgun he inherited from my dad recently. We surmise dad inherited this 1912 Model 11 from granddad, given the age of the gun and the fact that I found an old photo of granddad and his buddies and their guns and a Model 11 is front and center in the photo.

When loading the gun, it took a lot of effort to open the slide door, a situation made a bit more pesky by the fact the gun would not auto eject target loads. I researched the ring settings and the maintenance of the rings, have cleaned the magazine tube and put just a bit of oil there for the friction ring, which I hope will solve the ejection issue, but wondered if anyone had insight on the effort required to open the operating slide to load the gun?

I did not find any information on that issue. Perhaps a vigorous tug is normal and i need to "man up"? My brother's Browning A5 is much easier to open, so I thought perhaps a cleaning might be called for? I also saw a u-tube video of a different brand, but similarly designed, shotgun that was clearly very easy to open, compared to dad's.

Second question: i saw a 'repair manual' for sale for the model 11 sportsman. Is that a helpful resource? I already have the owner's manual from the Remington website.

Thanks in advance!