Pre or Not?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
dbuffington

Pre or Not?

Post by dbuffington »

Hi Folks!

Yesterday, I was very lucky to acquire this beautiful Remington ...

But what is it? Is it a Remington Autoloading Shotgun (a.k.a., a “pre-Model 11”) or a Model 11? Here are some photos of some key features ...

What has me puzzled is the “Remington UMC” buttplate versus the “Remington Arms Co.” on the barrel. Is this a contradiction? A Remington-ism? Or situation normal?

Thanks!
Dave
Researcher

Re: Pre or Not?

Post by Researcher »

The gun is a Remington Autoloading Shotgun of 1909 vintage with apparently a replacement butt plate of 1911 to 1920 vintage. It is a beautiful gun.
dbuffington

Post by dbuffington »

Researcher wrote:The gun is a Remington Autoloading Shotgun of 1909 vintage with apparently a replacement butt plate of 1911 to 1920 vintage. It is a beautiful gun.
Many thanks for the info and for the compliment! I feel incredibly fortunate to have stumbled into it.

What material was used for the original buttplates? Horn? Rubber? Bakelite? That is, was it prone to breakage?

Thanks again!
Dave
dbuffington

Post by dbuffington »

I took the barrel off this evening. (The end cap required some gentle persuasion with a small, soft strap wrench.) And I have a bit more info...

- Yes, the serial number on the barrel matches the serial number on the receiver.

- There are four sets of markings on the bottom of the barrel. In this order:
- KD3
- R.P. (upside down relative to the KD3)
- 4. (in engraved script)
- D2

Enjoy!
Dave
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

While some of the higher grade Remington doubles got horn butt plates, the 1909 Remington Arms Co. catalogue lists "rubber butt plate" for all the grades of the Remington Autoloading Gun. The KD3 is a Remington repair code indicating the gun was back to Ilion in most likely May 1935, far less likely May 1957. Unfortunately there are no known surviving records to indicate what the repair may have been. We could speculate that the out of period butt plate got put on at that time, but that is all it would be, speculation.
Last edited by Researcher on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbuffington

Post by dbuffington »

Researcher wrote:The KD3 is a Remington repair code indicating the gun was back to Ilion in most likely May 1935, far less likely May 1957. Unfortunately there are no known surviving records to indicate what the repair may have been. We could speculate that the out of period butt plate got put on at that time, but that is all it would be, speculation.
Understood and agreed. I'm guessing the "R.P." is some sort of "Remington Proof" mark. I'm also guessing the script "4" is to indicate it's a Grade 4 barrel, matching the Grade 4 receiver.

But what might the "D2" indicate?

Many thanks!
Dave
Robert Minshall

Post by Robert Minshall »

It is a pre model 11 called Remington Autoloading Shotgun.. Somewhere on this site you can date it, but off the top of my head I would say it was made in '08 or '09.