new member with first remington.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
heli626

new member with first remington.

Post by heli626 »

I just bought a model 1900 hammerless 12 ga. It needs a few parts , but it seems to be a nice gun.I have been reading the posts and believe it to be a 1906 model from the grade marking , ///KEDY. well I think the Y makes it th 1906. I don't know what the slashes are yet. I see that you are registering the #'s trying to put information together. Im sure this was never in your list as I paid $100 for it and it has been sitting a long time as the internals were some what stuck. The ser.# is 379265 and it is choked to 327 R , 333L . Im missing both ejectors, the butt late , catch spring , latch spring and upper tang screw. the #'s all match . On the place that the fore stock locks in there are markings, R and 2. does anyone know what this is?
admin
Site Admin

Re: new member with first remington.

Post by admin »

I can say it was made in 1909, not much else from me....
heli626

Post by heli626 »

thank you for the date. when I get it all together , i'm just going to keep it. I just have a few older guns, I think its amazing , the workmanship from back then.
heli626

Post by heli626 »

I did notice that the lever stays locked when on safety, but will float when the safety is off. What would keep the lever from floating open?
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I don't 100% understand what your question is but I'll jump in anyway. The lever should operate whether or not the safety is engaged. As a safety feature, opening the gun will move the safety to safe position.

As to "float", I assume you mean that the lever will not return to center position when released. Many, if not most, SxS guns of this era had a weakness as they used leaf springs. If there is a weakness with Remington's this is it. Several of the '94s & 1900s I've picked up over the years have had broken top lever springs. Cost about $25 - 30 to replace. I believe there is one on eBay right now.