Model 1100 won't fire.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Ray

Model 1100 won't fire.

Post by Ray »

I have a Remington 1100 Sporting 20 ( and a 28). The 20 gauge will not fire. I have disassembled and reassembled both guns in strict accordance with the owner's manual. The 28 is fine. The 20 functions perfectly UNTIL the barrel is assembled, in correct order and properly seated. Then the hammer will not strike the firing pin - it is blocked by the link. I am at a loss as to what is preventing the 20 from firing. Individually, each component, IE: barrel, piston, piston ring, seal, bolt, carrier, firing pin, spring, hammer, fire control group, whatever . . . function as required.
Virginian

Re: Model 1100 won't fire.

Post by Virginian »

Are you sure the bolt is going 100% into battery? It will not release the hammer until the locking block moves up fully into the notch in the barrel extension. Look at it from the bottom side with the trigger group out.
What could have happened... did.
Ray

Post by Ray »

No problems with the bolt, not with the fire control group, hammer, bolt, link, forward action parts, piston, seal . . . whatever. When disassembled, it functions perfectly insofar as bolt lock up, hammer release, and firing pin contact. Upon assembling the forearm the problem is created. I have minutely examined the gas seal, piston, every crevice, nook, and cranny for debris, whatever. Nadda. I am completely baffled.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Okay, so the bolt handle is all the way at the front of the slot. Not trying to insult you, but is the link in right side up? Is the firing pin spring good and the firing pin good and moving freely? It's gotta be something simple.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Yes, bolt handle is at front of slot, link is right side up, firing pin and spring OK, pin moving freely, piston, piston seal, and seal proper. It will, as you say, turn out to be something simple, but I am at a dead-end now. I am in E-m contact with Remington, have explained the issue, and await their response.
Ray

Post by Ray »

CORRECTION: the bolt handle is at the front of the slot when I assemble in proper order, piston seal, piston, barrel seal, and the barrel, which firmly slides into place. Upon assembling the forend, the bolt operating handle is moved about 1/4 to the rear. This is obviously the issue, but I don't know what's causing it. Examination of the barrel housing for the seal shows no debris.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Okay. Put it together without the barrel seal, piston and piston seal and see how that does. If it's still doing the same thing then then the issue is in the receiver.
Ray

Post by Ray »

THE MYSTERY IS SOLVED: bottom line: Do Not buy your O-ring gas seals at Home Depot. I chanced to watch a video from Brownells and saw the instructor place a piece of tape over the magazne tube threads, saying: "Do this to prevent damage to the O-ring upon installing." HELLO? I said to myself: "Self, you can barely get the O-ring on the tube, let alone over some taped threads." So I went to my R&GC which has 2 Remington 1187 Jr. 20 gauge shotguns, disassembled 1, and BINGO! Factory o-Ring which does not match what I got from Home Depot. Swaped out and home free.

Moral of the story: Buy Remington parts for Remington Firearms.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

You can get I think 4 delivered for $6 off ebay. Viton. If you want them to look silvery like Remington's, put them is a baggie with powdered graphite and shake. I think the 20 size is #19, but NOT positive.