Identification Help - Remington 1100

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
bradstaley

Identification Help - Remington 1100

Post by bradstaley »

I recently received my grandfather's 1100 from my father. It hadn't been shot in decades, so we cleaned it up, and it performed perfectly. I've never owned a shotgun, and I'm just reading posts and trying to learn about it. Based on the barrel markings, it seems to be from 1964, but there are several markings I don't understand. I'd love some help finding out that they mean:

On one side of the barrel:

-A marking that looks like "RED" in a curved box
-A sideways "S" in a pentagon shape with a block arrow coming out the bottom
-A "V"

On the other side"
-"N0L7"
-"SKEET"

Serial #: 106408V

Other questions:
-What's the primary use for a shotgun like this? It seems to shoot a very large spread, but my dad remembers my grandfather shooting phesant and quail with it.

-I know it shoots 2 3/4" shells. I have Remington Nitro Magnum Phesant Load 2 3/4". Is this OK?

-The barrel is not threaded. What are my options for chokes, if any?

Thanks for your help!!
Virginian

Re: Identification Help - Remington 1100

Post by Virginian »

Well the barrel was made either in July 1964 or July 1991. Seeing as how it is fixed choke, likely 1964. Your serial number tells me '64 is it. "Skeet" is the choke configuration, optimized for shooting Skeet. It is also good for any close range use. You can look that up on Wikipedia. You can download an owner's manual at http://www.remington.com . Read it. Some good information in there.
I got one new in 1963, with a 28" Full choke barrel, and a 26" Skeet choke barrel. It took the local joke to league high average in skeet, and I still have it, and four others. I love 1100s. I have probably owned 30 other semi autos, and they have all left. I have shot about all of them made. Some of the newer gas autos will go longer between cleanings, but none work better in my opinion. After you shoot it pull the fore end and barrel and spray everything with RemOil and wipe off all the excess. You can do it in 5 minutes once you get used to it. A detailed cleaning about once a year is all the extra that's needed. You can shoot all 2-3/4" shells in it up to about 1-1/4 ounce field loads. The Skeet barrels have larger gas ports, and with heavier shells they may batter the receiver. With a field barrel you can shoot any 2-3/4" load. Tighter fixed chokes and steel shot can be problematic.
You can buy a barrel equipped with RemChokes, or you can have yours fitted with choke tubes. If you buy one I recommend a Light Contour. The Target Contour feels the same but it also isn't rated for heavy loads. If you decide to have tubes fitted, I recommend Mike Orlen or Brileys. Mike is cheaper and faster, and his work is first rate all the way. There are plenty of others who do it, but those are the only two i would personally vouch for.

Good luck, Enjoy it. If you have any questions, just ask.
What could have happened... did.