What's Up with Remington Rollmarks

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
SpecialPurpose1985

What's Up with Remington Rollmarks

Post by SpecialPurpose1985 »

I purchased a 11-87 Super Magnum receiver in March 2013 (this year) and they told me it was just manufactured 2 weeks before in early March and the Serial number shows that. But now they told me it has a rollmark of March 2012.

What gives?

Anyone have an idea why they are saying that?

With Kind Regards,

SpecialPurpose1985
Virginian

Re: What's Up with Remington Rollmarks

Post by Virginian »

The rollmarks are fine, when they do them, but the phone information service is horribly unreliable. There was an 1100 on GunBroker with a Remington factory letter saying it was a very limited production Ducks Unlimited dinner gun. It was not. Sad.
What could have happened... did.
SpecialPurpose1985

Post by SpecialPurpose1985 »

Thanks Greatly for that but when was it made? lol. I am a Perfectionist. So I am trying to find out.

My Beloved 11-87 SPS was stolen last year and it took ten months to get the Serial number. A 10th Month ordeal but
not having it is my fault. Everyone should have their serial numbers archived in many many places.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

It is what it is. They have over 14 million just 870s and 1100s out there, and they started offering that dating service. I suspect it has gotten way past tedious for those that have to do it. The barrel rollmark codes, when a barrel has them, are accurate to the best of my knowledge. A barrel and a receiver may have been made months apart. And, with the accuracy of their serial number tracking, I doubt there is any way to pin everything down. Take heart. They told me, based on serial numbers, that two of mine don't exist. Now that's rare.
It's hard to be a perfectionist when you have to get input from those who don't care.
What could have happened... did.