Grand-dad's guns (pre mod 10 pump 12ga.)

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
srs

Grand-dad's guns (pre mod 10 pump 12ga.)

Post by srs »

I just recently found this wonderful site and so went digging in the safe for some old Remingtons that I got from my grandfather. I have a model 12-A 22 s-l-lr sn. 4158xx, a model 8 .30 Rem. Sn. 641xx, and what looks like a model 10 shotgun in 12ga. sn. 1023xx. The shotgun has no model number stamped on it.

I can't seem to get search or the link on the home page to give up mfg dates and would appreciate any help that could be had.

The folks in the rifle forum got me the dates for the rifles, I need help with dating the shotgun please.

Thanks!
Steve
Researcher

Re: Grand-dad's guns (pre mod 10 pump 12ga.)

Post by Researcher »

The shotgun that came to be known as the Remington Model 10 was introduced in the 1908-09 Remington Arms Co. catalogue as the "Remington Repeating Shotgun" --

In the February 15, 1910, Remington price list the gun is called the Model 1908. In 1911, Marcellus Hartley Dodge combined his arms and his ammunition companies as Remington Arms -- Union Metallic Cartridge Co., and the gun became known as the Model No. 10. During WW-I time the company name got Inc. added. In 1920, the company name was changed again to Remington Arms Co., Inc.

The old factory ledger from Ilion that was started with the resumption of civilian arms production after WW-I, shows the first entry for Model 10 had reached serial number 172939 on Sept. 30, 1919. U was a Remington "stock letter" for this pump gun. So, What is the company name on your gun? Remington Arms Co.? Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co.? Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co., Inc.? Or, Remington Arms Co., Inc.?

The guns are fine as long as they work, but there doesn't seem to be anyone left alive who can make one right once it gets out of whack.

There is virtually no interest or market demand for these old pumps unless in absolute mint condition or one of the higher grade hand engraved guns. Most average used Model 10 "Standard" Grades sell for $150 or less.