Model 31 Blueing and value

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
brianinpa

Model 31 Blueing and value

Post by brianinpa »

Last week I picked up a Model 31 at a local auction. Serial number is 3945 and the date stamps show it to be September 1931. Shoots fine and works as advertised, but, as you can see by looking at it, the shotgun is 82 years old: the blueing is worn off from the years of use, and the barrel looks like the receiver. I know that re-blueing it will decrease any value, if there really is any left if the old gun, but I'm not looking at it like an investment, but I want to make sure before I do anything to it. So I'm wondering just what the value of this old shotgun might be and what others might think about re-blueing an old gun...

Thanks for any advice!
Brian
US Navy Retired 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.
DavidFagan

Re: Model 31 Blueing and value

Post by DavidFagan »

Typically re-bluing an old firearm that is in better condition is "distasteful" however one that is without (added) collector value it doesn't much matter, it's whatever makes you happy.
I've seen absolutely pristine model 31's for sale for under $400 so while we typically don't give values on the board I think says it all. If you choose to re-bluing this it's entirely as for your taste and value, considering the cost it wouldn't be a wise (financial) investment but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
brianinpa

Re: Model 31 Blueing and value

Post by brianinpa »

Well I paid $150 for it and didn't really buy it as an investment, but rather as a deterrent for things that go bump in the night and also for the occasional walk through rabbit country so the value question was really more of a curiosity. I usually follow a pretty simple idea... if I don't have to feed it, and it brings me happiness, don't get rid of it, so I won't be selling it.
Brian
US Navy Retired 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.