Help dating 2 1100 12 gauges

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
jmccleney

Help dating 2 1100 12 gauges

Post by jmccleney »

Alright, so I've looked at the dating chart at this link: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

However, I'm still not sure I'm dating these shotguns properly. Here are the specs. Any help you all may be able to offer would be much appreciated.

Remington 1100 12 gauge w/ 21" fully rifled barrel(w/ rifle sites). Barrel Code reads- W P U T. This doesn't match the dating chart diagram. Serial Number is L405***V. I know that the V simply stands for 12 Gauge 2 3/4".

Remington 1100 12 gauge w/ 28" vent ribbed barrel. Barrel Code reads- 8 L V 4 6. Again, not matching the dating chart diagram. Serial number is N092***V. Again, I know what the V stands for.

My mom just recently passed these down to me. They previously belonged to my late father. These guns are in excellent condition and I am proud to call them mine, now. I'm the type that likes to keep a very detailed inventory of the weapons I own. I'm trying to update that inventory w/ the correct manufacturing dates for these two pieces. Both for inventory and contents insurance purposes. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

-Jay
Wulfman

Re: Help dating 2 1100 12 gauges

Post by Wulfman »

A couple of threads down from this one, is this thread which has some information which may help.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... =7&t=21176

Briefly:

The one with the "L" serial number prefix was made between 1968 and 1974.

The one with the "N" serial number prefix was made between 1978 and 1985.

That should help you narrow down which letters apply to the barrel date code of each gun. It can be confusing at times, but you should be able to figure it out.

Den

Virginian

Re: Help dating 2 1100 12 gauges

Post by Virginian »

It is not at all unusual to find barrels that are not original to the gun. I have six 1100s/11-87s, and 12 barrels. How they get sold when I'm gone is anyone's bet.
What could have happened... did.