Remington side by side help

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
mike B

Remington side by side help

Post by mike B »

My dad acquired a Remington Side By Side shotgun some 30-35 years ago from a guy that also had it for awhile. my dad never fired it. I am trying to identify what and how old it is and what it's value may be. I am not a gun guy so I will do my best to describe it. overall it seems to be in good condition. the guns overall length is 43.5", when disassembled the barrels are 28" long. on the underside of the barrels where it mounts to the stock it is stamped "K over B3" and right behind the triggers stamped in the metal us Q374036. I also found 374036 stamp in 2 other spots on the gun. it has 2 triggers one behind the other. any ideas what I have here?
DavidFagan

Re: Remington side by side help

Post by DavidFagan »

Sounds like a Model 1900 - made in 1908 (no exposed hammers)
K would mean steel barrels
B3 ?
There's some good shotgun guys here that can answer...
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
mike B

Post by mike B »

Ok, cool thanks. it had a cleaning kit that came with it that was marked 16ga. that doesn't really mean anything I guess. Kit looks like it was never used. it is made by Outers. It also is in perfect shape. I will wait for someone else to chime in. Thanks again.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

We are never going to be able to tell you much unless you post some good pictures of the gun plus all the markings on the watertable and the barrel flats. There were four variations of the Model 1900, the K-, KD-, KE- and KED-Grades and they were available in 12- or 16-gauge. From the 1906 Remington Arms Co. catalogue --

The guns weren't marked as to what gauge they were. Apparently shooters back in the day were smarter than we are now and knew what gauge their gun was!! You'll have to figure out whether it is a 12- or 16-gauge by trying a couple of empty shells or measuring.

FYI -- Barrel flats --

Watertable --

Gun shown is a KED-Grade 16-gauge.