Older 1100 12ga. repair questions.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Riverman

Older 1100 12ga. repair questions.

Post by Riverman »

My Dad recently asked me to try to get his old 1100 working. I believe it's an original 1963, his first shotgun. He was a very avid duck and dove hunter, and this was his primary (only?) shotgun from when he got it until around 1980. He still used it a good bit through the 80's and into the '90s, but it was splitting time with some other guns. There's no telling how many thousands of shells have been fired through this thing over 50 years.

It seems to have a few problems.

When you put shells in the magazine and cycle the action, the bolt locks back instead of feeding a shell into the chamber.

When you fire it, it doesn't fully eject the hull of the old shell, and it doesn't feed a new one. The hull ends up jammed half-way out of the ejection port.

When you put a shell in the chamber and cycle the action, it ejects the shell just fine, but the bolt locks back instead of feeding a new shell from the magazine.

I know it needs to be broken down and carefully cleaned, but I also think there are some larger issues. I suspect it's time for both gas seals and a magazine spring. I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be thinking about?

I also gather that these older 1100s use a different seal than the o-rings on the newer ones. Can anybody steer me to what part I need?

How about the best place to buy a magazine spring and a new plug for this gun?

Thanks for any help you can give me in fixing this gun up.
Virginian

Re: Older 1100 12ga. repair questions.

Post by Virginian »

The bolt is supposed to lock back when cycled manually. When you fire it with a round in the magazine the round trips the bolt and carrier.
Until you break it down and clean it completely, you can't diagnose anything else. I have a '63 and a '66 Model 1100, and they both are still going strong with the only part having been replaced being an extractor in 1982. The '63 has upwards of 115,000 rounds through it. I did change the metal V ring in the '63 to an O ring about 1967 so I wouldn't lose it. O rings are available on ebay for about $6 for four - delivered. I can't drive to the hardware store for that. You want Viton. My '63 still has the O ring I put in it in '67. They do not get damaged shooting, they get ruined by ham handed disassembly and assembly.
The old style piston and piston seal work better than the new style. They did cost more to make. If you ever do need new ones, Midway sells a Nu-Line clone set. Modern coil action and magazine springs do not wear out sitting either. I have replaced several that were very rusty for other people.
If you have lost yours, go to www.remington.com and download and owner's manual, and read it. Lots of good info.
After you clean it and try it come back if you need more help.
What could have happened... did.
Riverman

Post by Riverman »

Virginian wrote:The bolt is supposed to lock back when cycled manually.
I have never known an automatic that locked the bolt back when cycled manually with more shells in the magazine. I know my 20 gauge 1100 LT that I've had for 30 years will cycle the next shell into the chamber when you manually cycle it with shells in the mag.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Well, now you have known of it. I have owned 13 1100s/11-87s, and worked on hundreds of others, starting in 1963. The bolt is supposed to lock back when cycled manually. I currently have one that doesn't; the carrier latch is slightly bent. It cycles fine and I have been too lazy to change it.
The brand new ones have a small finger on the carrier so it does not lock back, to keep people like you happy I guess. It usually does not affect the normal cycling of the gun if it does not lock back.
Riverman

Post by Riverman »

Virginian wrote:Well, now you have known of it. I have owned 13 1100s/11-87s, and worked on hundreds of others, starting in 1963. The bolt is supposed to lock back when cycled manually.
Damned if you weren't right :wink:

Strange because my 20 Gauge 1100LT doesn't do that, and my 742 rifle doesn't do that - but this 1100 now works perfectly in every other way, and it still locks back.

I cleaned it thoroughly and oiled it, and replaced the o-ring and the magazine spring. Now it works great. Easy fix.

For those who are wondering, I got 6 o-rings off ebay for $4, and the spring for less than $6 from Midway.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Good job. I have owned about 30 semi autos and shot about everything made, and have yet to find one I like as well as an 1100. They are easy to keep going. You did good on the O rings too. People talk about going to the hardware store, and I can't drive to the store for that.
Dlo429

Post by Dlo429 »

Can anyone tell me the age of a 1100 lt 20 the serial #n755